Monday, June 26, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotion - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 27 June 2017 - Psalm 13



The God Pause Daily Devotion - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 27 June 2017 - Psalm 13
Psalm 13:
1
 (0) For the leader. A psalm of David:
2 (1) How long, Adonai?
Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
3 (2) How long must I keep asking myself what to do,
with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long must my enemy dominate me?
4 (3) Look, and answer me, Adonai my God!
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death.
5 (4) Then my enemy would say, “I was able to beat him”;
and my adversaries would rejoice at my downfall.
6 (5) But I trust in your grace,
my heart rejoices as you bring me to safety.
(6) I will sing to Adonai, because he gives me
even more than I need.
 [Complete Jewish Bible]
-------

"How long will you hide your face from me [O Lord]?" the psalmist asks. Hester panim, Hebrew for "hiding the face," has a long history in biblical tradition. There is something really honest about admitting that God's face, God's presence, seems often concealed or hidden from us. In so many ways the blessing and goodness of God is apparent: in nature, health, good relationships, in life itself. Yet, nothing around us is marked with a big "G," nor is God's presence always so obvious. Built into the life we're given is enough mystery and wonder that something called faith seems to be needed. In good times, it's easy to thank divine goodness. In times of trouble, it can appear that God's face is hiding. We must wait until face to face with God to ask why--exactly--such mystery and wonder was sometimes obvious and at other times quite hidden. Until then, "How long?" seems an honest and appropriate question we ask of God.
Help us, O God, to remember your steadfast love, your salvation, in times of sorrow as well as in times of bountiful goodness. Your face may be hidden, yet your presence is ever with us. Especially when my soul is in pain and my heart is filled with sorrow do I need to trust your presence, even if hidden. Amen.
John Matthews, '82
Pastor, Grace Lutheran Church, Apple Valley, Minn.
Psalm 13:
1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I bear pain in my soul, and have sorrow in my heart all day long? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God! Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
4 and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed"; my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.
5 But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.
[New Revised Standard Version]
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
Telephone: (651)641-3456
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment