Thursday, June 29, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotion - The Lutheran Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Friday, 30 June 2017 - Matthew 10:40-42


The God Pause Daily Devotion - The Lutheran Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for 
Friday, 30 June 2017 - Matthew 10:40-42
Matthew 10:
40 “Whoever receives you is receiving me, and whoever receives me is receiving the One who sent me. 41 Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive the reward a prophet gets, and anyone who receives a tzaddik because he is a tzaddik will receive the reward a tzaddik gets. 42 Indeed, if someone gives just a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my talmid — yes! — I tell you, he will certainly not lose his reward!” [Complete Jewish Bible]
-------
I'm reminded once again in the gospel reading for this week how important little things are. I tend to judge my worth--or effectiveness--as a servant of Jesus Christ by the perceived importance of an act. Whether a token or a large gift, a small act or a large project, I most often evaluate its importance by the size of the gesture. Here Jesus cuts to the quick: "Whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones...will not lose their reward." That is so good to hear because that is something I can actually do! How important little things are. It makes every hour of every day in every place an opportunity for significant activity for Christ. In each little act is the message: "You are cared about." It is the thought and the act that counts. Everyone's offering is equally valued. That is so good to hear. That is something I can actually do!
I am blessed, Lord Jesus, to know that whatever I can offer, whoever I can bless this day, can make such a difference. Continue to use my humble gestures, my small gifts, to bless the lives of others. Amen.
John Matthews, '75
Pastor, Grace Lutheran Church, Apple Valley, Minn.
Matthew 10:
40 "Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.
41 Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet's reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous;
42 and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple--truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward."
[New Revised Standard Version]
The Lutheran Seminary
2481 Como Ave,
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
Telephone: 651-641-3456
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment