Monday, June 26, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotion in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "God's Gifts" for Tuesday, 27 June 2017 - Read Ecclesiastes 5:18-20

The Upper Room Daily Devotion in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "God's Gifts" for Tuesday, 27 June 2017 - Read Ecclesiastes 5:18-20
------
Ecclesiastes 5:
17 (18) This is what I have seen to be good: that it is appropriate for a person to eat, drink and enjoy the good that results from all his work that he engages in under the sun for all the days of his life that God has given him, for this is his allotted portion. 18 (19) Also, everyone to whom God has given riches and wealth, along with the power to enjoy it, so that he takes his allotted portion and finds pleasure in his work — this is a gift of God; 19 (20) for he will not brood over the fact that his life is short, since God keeps him occupied with what will bring him joy.
-------
May the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful. [Psalm 68:3 (NIV)]
When I was younger, I would notice how happy wealthy friends seemed to be. I had difficulty understanding why I didn’t have the same privileges as my friends. A friend once said to me, “I don’t know why people are so unhappy when every day is a gift.” My friend was right. Every day is a gift.
As I have matured, I have learned from the Bible about the gift of joy and the simple values that bring happiness. Why do I worry about what I don’t have when life is an opportunity to make the most of what God gives? Delighting in what God calls us to do brings true joy. The gift of waking up in the morning, seeing a new day with new opportunities, and knowing that all of our many blessings come from God’s grace and mercy can bring deep happiness.
Now when I wake up, I take a look at what is right in front of me and not what I don’t have. Every hour, minute, and second bring an opportunity to make a difference. I have learned that trying to take control of my life often results in disappointment, but allowing God to be my leader is a rewarding spiritual experience.
The Author: Courtney Pack (Georgia, USA)
Thought for the Day: I will be grateful and celebrate God’s gift of life today.
Prayer: Dear God, open our eyes so that we can see and appreciate all you have given to us. Amen.
Prayer focus: To make the most of God’s gifts
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment