Friday, April 6, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional in Saint Pau, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, 7 April 2018 "Be Thou My Vision," ELW 793

The God Pause Daily Devotional in Saint Pau, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, 7 April 2018 "Be Thou My Vision," ELW 793
1. Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
naught be all else to me, save that thou art:
thou my best thought both by day and by night,
waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.
2. Be thou my wisdom, and thou my true word;
I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord.
Thou my soul's shelter, and thou my high tow'r,
raise thou me heav'nward, O Pow'r of my pow'r.
3. Riches I heed not, nor vain, empty praise,
thou mine inheritance, now and always:
thou and thou only, the first in my heart,
great God of heaven, my treasure thou art.
4. Light of my soul, after victory won,
may I reach heaven's joys, O heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be my vision, O Ruler of all.
***
The words of this hymn may be as old as anything in our hymnal. They come from an Irish poem dating back to the 5th Century. (The music, now an old standard, was joined to it 100 years ago.). "Naught be all else to me, save that thou art" is a cry of devotion that puts everything else in life far behind ("naught!") the recognition of God's existence. The imagery of "shelter" and "tow'r" are moving pictures of God's role in our lives.
In an age when so much contends for our attention and our days fill with frenetic activity, what a life-giving thing it is that we can let all else fade into the background, and live in the all-embracing arms of the God who holds us. Lest you be tempted to think this invites us to only a soft, cozy relationship with God, let's turn--tomorrow--to the world-transforming message of the next two verses.
Life-giving God, draw us in, to be closely tethered to you in all things. Amen.
Peter Rogness, '72
Retired Pastor, Living in St. Paul, Minn.

***The God Pause Daily Devotional in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Friday, 6 April 2018 - John 20:19-31
John 20:
19 In the evening that same day, the first day of the week, when the talmidim were gathered together behind locked doors out of fear of the Judeans, Yeshua came, stood in the middle and said, “Shalom aleikhem!” 20 Having greeted them, he showed them his hands and his side. The talmidim were overjoyed to see the Lord. 21 “Shalom aleikhem!” Yeshua repeated. “Just as the Father sent me, I myself am also sending you.” 22 Having said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Ruach HaKodesh! 23 If you forgive someone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you hold them, they are held.”
24 Now T’oma (the name means “twin”), one of the Twelve, was not with them when Yeshua came. 25 When the other talmidim told him, “We have seen the Lord,” he replied, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands, put my finger into the place where the nails were and put my hand into his side, I refuse to believe it.”
26 A week later his talmidim were once more in the room, and this time T’oma was with them. Although the doors were locked, Yeshua came, stood among them and said, “Shalom aleikhem!” 27 Then he said to T’oma, “Put your finger here, look at my hands, take your hand and put it into my side. Don’t be lacking in trust, but have trust!” 28 T’oma answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Yeshua said to him, “Have you trusted because you have seen me? How blessed are those who do not see, but trust anyway!”

30 In the presence of the talmidim Yeshua performed many other miracles which have not been recorded in this book. 31 But these which have been recorded are here so that you may trust that Yeshua is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by this trust you may have life because of who he is.
(Complete Jewish Bible).
***
Transformed by Place.
Thomas wasn't there when Jesus appeared. He was someplace else. Much of our life is determined by where we choose to be--a particular school, a particular job, neighborhood, circle of friends, church, social groups.
If, like Thomas, we hope to be more certain of Christ's presence, it makes a difference where we go. A sermon my father once wrote suggested we are likely to encounter God's presence in three places:
1. In the Word. The Word that became flesh promises to meet us in the written word as well. Devotions and meditation are good places to be.
2. In the body of Christ. Old and New Testament alike are clear that the people of faith are a community, not select individuals. Where two or three gather, Christ is among us.
3. In the world's poor and suffering. This compassionate God of ours not only sends us to be Christ's compassionate presence in others' lives, but promises that we meet Jesus there.
Gracious God, today let me choose to be in places where I encounter your presence. Amen.
Peter Rogness, '72
Retired Pastor, Living in St. Paul, Minn.
John 20:
19 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you."
20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
24 But Thomas (who was called the Twin ), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe."
26 A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you."
27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe."
28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!"
29 Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."
30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book.
31 But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.
 (New Revised Standard Version)
The Luther Seminary

***

No comments:

Post a Comment