Saturday, October 31, 2015

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem, JFJ leader urges from David Brickner, Jews for Jesus in San Francisco, California, United States for Friday, 30 October 2015

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem, JFJ leader urges from David Brickner, Jews for Jesus in San Francisco, California, United States for Friday, 30 October 2015
Share on:

From David Brickner
  • ➤ Read how you can avoid being frustrated by the amount of missionary mail you receive.It can be frustrating to get too much missionary mail, especially if half of it is asking for money. I know, because I get mail from various Christian ministries that I support. But though I receive more missionary mail than I can respond to, my perspective as a mission leader keeps me from becoming frustrated or less interested in their ministries because of it. It never occurred to me to explain my perspective to you, but a recent letter has motivated me to do just that.Dear David Brickner,My wife and I faithfully support one of your missionaries every month as we do for several other missionaries and ministries. It seems that at least once a month you send us a mailing asking for more support for a different project. In my opinion you are going to the well too often. I find it irritating and am tempted to send my monthly support elsewhere. I doubt I am the only person who feels this way. Please remove us from your mailing list.My policy is to answer all complaints addressed to Jews for Jesus and I want to share my answer to this one with you. If you’ve ever felt as these donors do, I hope reading this will help.Shalom and thank you for your recent letter.First, thank you for your faithful support since September 2014. You have been so generous, and even if you never give another gift we will be forever grateful.I also want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to know how you feel so I can respond. For that I am also grateful. We have followed through on your request to be removed from our mailing list, but I hope what I’m about to tell you might change your mind.We do send out letters from our headquarters requesting donations approximately once a month, (though never more than that). We call these appeal letters. We send them in addition to our monthly newsletters which, I think you know, do not include requests for funds but are designed to inspire, inform and educate our friends in the Jews for Jesus family. Plus, if someone gives a donation they also receive a receipt in that month, with a letter of thanks from me.So it is possible to receive up to three pieces of mail from us in any given month, though only one appeal. For some, that is too much, but we truly don’t want to send you any unwanted mail—in fact, we want to do our best to prevent sending unwanted mail whenever we can. You actually have many options in managing the amount of mail we send you.You can request to have no appeal letters sent to you at all, and we are happy to arrange that. You can also choose to receive appeal letters four times a year—or even just once a year. Some of our friends have even asked to receive our newsletter quarterly or annually instead of monthly, and we can accommodate that as well. Other donors request no receipt for their donations. In each case we are happy to oblige.Perhaps you might be willing to consider adjusting the amount of times you hear from Jews for Jesus rather than choosing not to hear from us at all. I really hope you will.So why do we send out appeal letters for different projects once a month to all except those who request fewer (or zero) appeals?  First, because we have at least that many special projects that need prayer and funding. Second, many of our donors only give when we ask, and they appreciate the reminder that appeals provide. And third, most people will get excited about one project and not another—and since we don’t know which they will want to support, we tell them about each one.  We don’t expect anyone to respond to every letter and we certainly don’t want anyone to feel pressured. In fact, we have always told our donors to support their local church first before ever giving to Jews for Jesus. Actually, giving to a local church serves as a good model for this subject.People who are active in their local church usually attend several services a month. Many churches pass an offering plate at each service or special event, but that doesn’t mean people feel personally pressured to give each time the plate goes by. Some choose to give once or twice a month depending on when they are paid. Some prefer to give online, so they let the plate pass them by each and every time. Probably most churchgoers don’t feel irritated when the offering plate is passed. If they have already given what they intend to for the month, they just let the plate pass by, realizing it is also meant for others.It would be great if people could feel that way about our appeal letters. If you have already given what you intend to, please just let that “plate” pass by without feeling any pressure. Because the person next to you might be ready to give, even if you already have. Does that make sense? I hope you still see Jews for Jesus as worthy of your support based on the ministry we are doing, and will let us know if you’d like to resume hearing from us. Again, we’ll be happy to make changes in how often you hear from us if you tell us your preferences.Shalom in Jesus,David BricknerIf you feel you’ve been receiving too much missionary mail from us, I hope the above letter helps, and that you’ll email us a note to help us adjust the amount of mail we send you.I’ll confess, I would prefer not to have to ask for donations at all. In my dream world, people would give spontaneously and all of our needs would be met without ever needing to ask. Like many dreams, it wouldn’t be a realistic expectation.Jesus said, “Ask and you will receive.”  Scripture tells us, “You do not have because you do not ask.”  Now I know it is speaking about asking God and believe me, we do ask God continually around here. I believe God chooses to supply those needs most often through His people, the church. So I believe He expects us to ask, but when we do ask people to give, we ought to trust that God will move them to be His means to supply all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.When I give to my church, or to Jews for Jesus, or to other worthy causes, it’s with the understanding that all I have belongs to God to begin with. He speaks to each heart that’s in tune with His about when and where to give. If too much mail is making it hard for you to hear His voice, please do let us know. We’ll do our best to send only as much as will be a mutual blessing in what we hope will be a long lasting partnership with you.
  • ➤ Watch David’s video update andPRAY for the peace of Jerusalem, now more than ever!<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F7Rolm8oQdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Stories
Pray for the 39 people saved in Moscow!

Pictured on the right is one of 826 people who gave their contact information to hear more about Jesus!
Maxim, our Moscow leader reports, “Our two-week campaign ended with 39 people newly professing faith in Jesus. 14 of the new believers are Jewish! Also, 524 Jewish people who don’t yet know Jesus gave us their contact information to hear more, and so did 302 Gentiles. We handed out 223,888 gospel broadsides (tracts). God even used our opposition to spread His message. A group had posted a picture of one of our broadsides online (complete with our contact information), warning people not to take them—but instead of causing fewer people to take our tracts, it resulted in some good discussions across various social networks.

Ilya preached at the Rosh Hashanah service
“About 90 people came to our Rosh Hashanah celebration; probably 20 for the first time. Our campaigners recognized many of them as people they’d met on the streets during the week. I gave an altar call and six people prayed to receive the Lord. Praise God! We also had a Yom Kippur event; 115 attended, again, 20 for the first time—mostly people our campaigners had invited during sorties (tract-passing expeditions). Five people (4 Jewish and 1 gentile) answered the altar call. Praise God!
“Please pray for continued follow-up as we contact the 524 Jewish people who were willing to hear more from us. About half of those we’ve contacted so far are between 18 and 22 years old.”
Here are a few highlights from the campaign:
Larissa reports, “I finally got to go to Pushkinskaya station, where I had lots of conversations, particularly with Jewish people. Two policemen asked what I was doing. I shared the gospel with them and one said, ‘It is probably not very comfortable to stand here. If you would go over there it would be better for you to do what you are doing.’ I listened to them, and a few minutes later a young Armenian woman approached me with one of our broadsides in her hand. She said, ‘I want to pray. There is a prayer on the back of your flyer; can I pray now or do I have to wait?’ I said a brief silent prayer, then led her in prayer as she received Jesus into her heart—right in the middle of the crowded underground crossing! Praise God!”
Svetlana reports, “I set a personal daily goal for myself to try to get contact information from ten Jewish people who would be willing to hear more about Jesus. One day I received only 8, so the next day I wanted to meet my daily goal, plus “catch up” for the two people I missed the day before. I prayed and, even though at first it went slowly, by the end of the day I had spoken to not 12 but 15 Jewish seekers willing to give me their contact information! I praise God for answering prayers!”

Moscow branch leader Maxim (right) at the Rosh Hashanah service
Natalia reports, “A young woman came up to me, smiling, and said she was very happy to see my Jews for Jesus T-shirt. She had never heard about us. Her mother was Jewish and she was very interested. She gave me her contact info and promised to come to our Shabbat meeting the next day. While we were still talking, I noticed a young man waiting to speak to me. When the girl left, he told me his mother also was Jewish, and he, too, gave me his contact information.”
Marina reports, “On our way to a sortie I noticed a woman staring at me, obviously angry. I approached her and she said, ‘I am Jewish and I am ashamed of you.’ She turned out to be Orthodox and knew the Scriptures pretty well. Surprisingly, she left me her contact information. When I asked if she’d ever heard about Jews for Jesus, she said, ‘Of course I have! Orthodox Jews in Moscow have been constantly talking about you during the last weeks!’
“One day a music group was playing near my sortie spot. The guy who was selling their CDs came over to ask me about Jesus. He had tried various groups, including Buddhists and Krishna followers. I told him that Jesus is the Savior and the only one who gives eternal life. I shared the gospel with him and he responded, ‘I want it. I want Jesus to live in my heart!’ He prayed the sinner’s prayer, and then I prayed for him and blessed him. After that he wanted to do something nice for me and he gave me one of the CDs he was selling.”

Dmitri reports, “As I was doing follow-up work, I called one lady who had given her name and phone number, but no address. I told her I understood she was interested to know more, and would she give me her address so I could her some information? She agreed, but then suggested, ‘Or maybe we could meet and you would give me that literature in person?’ We met a few hours later in a subway station. She was 48 years old and her father was Jewish. She used to read the Bible and also had attended the Russian Orthodox Church. She told me that she believed in Jesus, but when I asked if she was sure that her sins were forgiven, she asked, ‘How can I be sure?’ I quoted a few Bible verses, and explained how Jesus is the atoning sacrifice and that, in Him, we can have eternal life. I asked if she wanted to pray and to ask for God’s forgiveness. She didn’t want to pray in the station, which was crowded and noisy, but she promised to come to our Shabbat meeting. She was also willing to meet with one of our missionaries to talk more about God.”
Please pray as the work of follow-up continues, that God will continue His work in the hearts of those who have already prayed to receive Him.

photos by Niek Stam
Our wonderful volunteer, Asaf Pelled, had a vision to reach out to the Jewish people—and especially the many Israelis—in Amsterdam. He organized a mini-campaign and two of our Budapest staff, Ildiko and Daniel, joined his team for six days. The team had 70 gospel conversations and received contact information from 10 Jews and 24 Gentiles who want to know more about Jesus. They handed out 19,450 gospel broadsides. One man prayed to receive Jesus; please pray for fruitful follow-up from this outreach!
Ildiko reports, “I was at Dam Square handing out broadside tracts, when a man from Chile accepted one and asked me to tell him more about it. I told him we proclaim the gospel and asked what he thought about Jesus. He said, ‘Nothing special.’ Then I told him the whole gospel and saw his eyes fill with tears. I asked if he was ready to receive Jesus in his heart, and ask Him to forgive his sin. He said yes and we prayed together. I explained that he has a new life, and is now a child of God. His eyes filled with tears again. He told me he has a Bible at home, and gave me his name and email address. At the end of October he will go back to his country. Please pray for him.”
Daniel reports, “An Israeli family stopped on the street and asked about my faith in Yeshua. I shared the gospel with them and they wanted to know if someone had pressured me or I decided to believe on my own. This was a great opportunity to share my testimony. When I said that the New Testament is a Jewish book written by Jews to other Jews they were very interested. I gave them a copy and they thanked me and went on. After a few minutes the woman returned and asked me another question! I pray God will continue speaking to her heart.”
Willem reports, “While at Dam Square I handed out a tract with ‘Good news from Israel’ to Danielle,* who immediately said that she was Jewish. I was telling her about a Messianic prophesy from Micah, when her husband crossed the street to join us. I thought it might be the end of the conversation but, praise the Lord, it was not! Her husband, Joseph,* also was very friendly and introduced himself. The couple were probably between 25 and 30 years old. Joseph told me that his thinking was not dependent on what others thought. He received the Bible I offered him and gave me his address, so we can send them free information about who we think Jesus is and what He did for us!”
Jakub reports, “I met a friendly backpacker from Turkey in Dam Square. He had plenty of time to talk—I told him my testimony and he really listened! He mentioned he has a Bible at home and gave me his address. He is open to receive more information about who we think Jesus is and what He did for us!”
Please pray that God will water all the gospel seed that was planted through this mini-campaign.
*not their real names
Amsterdam mini-campaign gallery
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QeY5deMF2pQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Support Jewish Evangelism
Your financial support, prayers and willingness to spread the Word make the work of Jews for Jesus possible. Please consider giving now to help share the gospel and introduce Jewish people to their Messiah. Thank you!
Make My Gift
Follow Jews for Jesus


About RealTime
RealTime delivers breaking news and views on Jewish evangelism, as well as inspiring perspectives from executive director David Brickner. Check back often for the latest updates. You'll find reasons to praise—and opportunities for prayer.
Jews for Jesus
60 Haight Street
San Francisco, California 94102 United States
Phone 4158642600

____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment