Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "The Best Dwelling Place" for Thursday, 29 December 2016 with Scripture: John 14:1-7



The Upper Room Daily Devotionals in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "The Best Dwelling Place" for Thursday, 29 December 2016 with Scripture: John 14:1 “Don’t let yourselves be disturbed. Trust in God and trust in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many places to live. If there weren’t, I would have told you; because I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 Since I am going and preparing a place for you, I will return to take you with me; so that where I am, you may be also. 4 Furthermore, you know where I’m going; and you know the way there.”
5 T’oma said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you’re going; so how can we know the way?” 6 Yeshua said, “I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me. 7 Because you have known me, you will also know my Father; from now on, you do know him — in fact, you have seen him.”
-------
Jesus said, “In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.[John 14:2 (KJV)]
I have lived in many different places since my parents, brothers, and I left Latvia to escape communism. On our journey to freedom, we lived a short time in Poland and Germany. Later we were fortunate to immigrate to the United States.
All I can remember from my home in Latvia is the grand piano in the large living room where my aunt filled the space with music. One day when I searched online for the address of my childhood home, I discovered that the house was for sale. I was able to view the many furnished rooms with their hardwood floors.
As I thought about the possibility of once again living in my childhood residence, I remembered the verse quoted above. Then I realized that this was not a realistic dream, and I began to turn my focus away from where I might live on earth to where I will live when I die. God has taken care of me here on earth, and I know that whatever happens to me, God watches over me. The place Jesus Christ has prepared for me is even better than my beloved home here or in Latvia. Every day, I can thank the Lord for this promise.
The Author: Christa Eckert Blum (Ohio, USA)
Thought for the Day: Our heavenly home is better than any earthly home.
Prayer: God of salvation, thank you for caring for us and for offering us the gift of eternal life with you. Amen.
Prayer focus: IMMIGRANTS AND REFUGEES
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment