Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Mount Carmel Church of the Nazarene Newsletter Issue 23 for Tuesday, 14 August 2018

Mount Carmel Church of the Nazarene Newsletter Issue 23 for Tuesday, 14 August 2018
Thoughts From Our PastorsThis past week as Bryant was working on his sermon about the Lord’s Prayer, I found myself reading an equally common passage, Psalm 23. I have been thinking about how important These passages are because they help us understand who God is. Clark Pinnock, a Christian theologian would often say that “our view of God the Father is critical because we inevitably come to look like the God we believe in.” All of this got me to thinking about the way Psalm 23 would really sound if we were honest about the kind of God we believe in. So I got online and found a few mutated versions of this beloved shepherd psalm by Scott Daniels pastor of Nampa First Church of the Nazarene.
Here is Psalm 23 for those of us convinced that God is the angry judge:
The Lord is my judge and taskmaster. He watches everything I do.
He keeps list after list of all my sin; he keeps track of my stray thoughts; he can’t wait to pour out his wrath on me.
He puts obstacles in my path just to see if I’ll be good or not.
Sometimes when things are going too good, he will place me in the darkest valley, it terrifies me to think of what he might do to me. His wrath and his fury are my likely destiny.
If you think he’s angry with me, you should see the way he’s going to treat my enemies. He will reign fire on their heads. I get giddy just thinking about it.
Yes, legalism, fear, and doing the right thing purely out of obligation will pursue me all the days of my life, and if I’m just good enough I will barely make it into the Lord’s house... maybe… I hope.

Here is Psalm 23 for those who see God as the great clock-maker who set everything up but has largely left us to our own devices:
The Lord is the great clock-maker and absentee landlord. For the rest, I’m pretty much on my own.
He gave me a good head on my shoulders; he handed me a book of rules; he expects me to make something decent out of my life.
He has hidden some tips and rules in the Bible that make my life seem to work better.
My goal is to avoid as much as possible dark valleys, but I fear no danger because I can probably handle it. My wits, my talent, and my clear understanding of God’s principles —they will protect me.
It is my purpose to live in complete safety and avoid my enemies. You wound up your clock, God; I’m still making it day-by-day.
Yes, I will grab all the gusto I can without risking too much all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the rules of the Lord as long as I live.

Here is the 23rd Psalm for a generation of "Moralistic Therapeutic Deists":
The Lord is my grandparent in the sky. He shows up when I need him.
He lets me pursue my dreams; he is a great addition to my life; wants me to be happy.
I pretty much do what I want, and try my best to be a good person. I don’t really need to throw his name around.
I’m trying life on my own. Now, if for some reason I walk through the darkest valley, I will show up to church and beg him to show up. His last minute help – it bails me out.
I live indistinctively enough to not have many enemies. You are a great addition to my life; my life works so well with you added in!
Yes, lukewarmness and spiritual apathy will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will show up in the Lord’s house whenever I need him.

May our prayer always be instead:
The Lord is my shepherd. I lack nothing.
He lets me rest in grassy meadows; he leads me to restful waters; he keeps me alive. He guides me in proper paths for the sake of his good name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no danger because you are with me. Your rod and your staff— they protect me.
You set a table for me right in front of my enemies. You bathe my head in oil; my cup is so full it spills over!
Yes, goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the Lord’s house as long as I live.

Psalm 23:1 (0) A psalm of David:
(1) Adonai is my shepherd; I lack nothing.
2 He has me lie down in grassy pastures,
he leads me by quiet water,
3 he restores my inner person.
He guides me in right paths
for the sake of his own name.
4 Even if I pass through death-dark ravines,
I will fear no disaster; for you are with me;
your rod and staff reassure me.
5 You prepare a table for me,
even as my enemies watch;
you anoint my head with oil
from an overflowing cup.
6 Goodness and grace will pursue me
every day of my life;
and I will live in the house of Adonai
for years and years to come.
(Complete Jewush Bible).
Coming Up At Mount Carmel
Wednesday Food Sign up:
So let's talk about food and Bible Study, we would love for you to join us on Wednesday for dinner and Bible study. If you enjoy our time together please also consider inviting your friends. The more we have the merrier it will be. To make sure we have everything we need, here is the link for this week Wednesday, August 15. If you would like to sign up for next week here is the sign up sheet for that. Wednesday August 22.Summer Nights Outreach: Thank you to everyone who came out Sunday Night. It was a great time to get together and continue to get to know each other, and others who are visiting with us. It was great to have new visitors sharing food with us.
Wednesday Night Fellowship + Kids Program:
August 15, 6-7:30 pm. We’re going to kick off our Wednesday Night Fellowship with a bang! Come join us for an evening for every age! The children will be experiencing pirate themed lessons on treasures in heaven. Chelsea will be doing a study on, “What is a church member?” Please utilize our invitations to invite people you think would benefit from attending!
Men’s Retreat:
September 14-16, $150 at Palomar Christian Conference Center. The men of the SoCal District will be gathering to be encouraged and inspired by former General Superintendent, Dr. Jerry Porter. This will be a great time to get to know other men in the church and grow in your relationship with God. Talk to Bryant with any questions.
Fall Festival:
Saturday, October 27 from 2-6pm. Save the date for this fun outreach event that our church will be doing. We’ll let you know about the ways you can get involved (besides inviting everyone you know!!!) :)
Offering:
To all those who give during out service or online, THANK YOU!!! The money you give goes to helping our community and the global church. If you missed giving this week, just visit our giving page here and give online.
We also are set up to receive Faith Promise through our online giving here just make sure that you select Faith Promise instead of general offering.
Tithing is a discipline that will strengthen your faith and the church cannot function properly without your support. If you consider Mount Carmel your church home, please pray about being obedient to the Lord in this way.
Copyright © |* Mount Carmel, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Mount Carmel Church of the Nazarene
10060 Carmel Mountain Road
San Diego, California 92129, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment