Saturday, August 18, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 19 August 2018 "Let Us Break Bread Together," ELW 471

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 19 August 2018 
"Let Us Break Bread Together," ELW 471
1. Let us break bread together on our knees;
let us break bread together on our knees.
Refrain:
When I fall on my knees,
with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.
2. Let us drink wine together on our knees;
let us drink wine together on our knees. 
Refrain:
When I fall on my knees,
with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.
3. Let us praise God together on our knees;
let us praise God together on our knees. 
Refrain:
When I fall on my knees,
with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.
***
One of the most profound things I get to do as a pastor is break bread--at a meal with someone new to our community; at a funeral or wedding reception; on a mission trip, at an outreach event, for some other "official" meal. Breaking bread builds community and is intimate and good. But when I break bread in communion--visiting a shut-in, at a deathbed, on a retreat or mission trip, at worship--there is a greater depth of intimacy, community and joy.
When we come to communion, it's not like coming to the podium to claim a hard-earned award. When we come to the Lord's table, it's not with a sense of entitlement or pride, not with the swagger of young lions on the prowl. No, we come to the table on our knees. We come with humility (close to the earth) and with hope and trust, seeking God's mercy. We lift our praises to God; we turn our face to the risen Son. And it is very good indeed.
God, as we break bread together and drink wine together and fall on our knees together, be glorified. As we stand up and take leave of this place, sustain us with the life by which you have fed us. Amen.
Karl Hester, '01
Pastor, Christ the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Salem, Ore
THE LUTHER SEMINARY ®
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment