Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Daily Guide grow. pray. study. Daily Devotion from The Resurrection United Methodist Church of Leawood, Kansas, United States for Tuesday, 16 June 2015 - "Filled with needed skill and ability"

Daily Guide grow. pray. study. Daily Devotion from The Resurrection United Methodist Church of Leawood, Kansas, United States for Tuesday, 16 June 2015 - "Filled with needed skill and ability"

Daily Scripture: Exodus 31:1 Adonai said to Moshe, 2 “I have singled out B’tzal’el the son of Uri the son of Hur, of the tribe of Y’hudah. 3 I have filled him with the Spirit of God — with wisdom, understanding and knowledge concerning every kind of artisanry. 4 He is a master of design in gold, silver, bronze, 5 cutting precious stones to be set, woodcarving and every other craft.
6 “I have also appointed as his assistant Oholi’av the son of Achisamakh, of the tribe of Dan. Moreover, I have endowed all the craftsmen with the wisdom to make everything I have ordered you — 7 the tent of meeting, the ark for the testimony, the ark-cover above it, all the furnishings of the tent, 8 the table and its utensils, the pure menorah and all its utensils, the incense altar, 9 the altar for burnt offerings and all its utensils, the basin and its base, 10 the garments for officiating, the holy garments for Aharon the cohen and the garments for his sons, so that they can serve in the office of cohen, 11 the anointing oil and the incense of aromatic spices for the Holy Place: they are to make everything just as I have ordered you.”
Reflection Questions:
Al Lopez was a great baseball manager who knew there’s more to life than just following orders. He once wrote, “Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or baseball, or the theater, or any field—if you don't love what you're doing and you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short.” To lead in building Israel’s beautiful tabernacle in the desert, God directed Moses to two gifted craftsmen.
  • Bezalel and Oholiab, Exodus 35:34 said, not only had wonderful skills of their own, but also had “the ability to teach others.” In your work or other areas of involvement, what are you best at doing? What ways have you found (or could you find) to share your ability with others who would benefit from your sharing?
  • Do you know a lot, or nothing at all, about Israel’s desert tabernacle? Either way, you’ll enjoy the July 21 family event “Hearing and Experiencing the Story: The Tabernacle.” You’ll be able to walk through a replica of the tabernacle, learning about the beauty and symbolism the gifted craftsmen (who clearly must have loved what they did) created. You can register at www.cor.org/summer.
Today’s Prayer:
God, I ask you for a heart willing to hear your call, willing to see all you have given me, and willing to do wholeheartedly whatever you set before me. Amen.
Insights from Chris Folmsbee
Chris Folmsbee is Resurrection’s Director of Discipleship Ministries. He is the author of several books, with an extensive background in applying principles of spiritual growth to real life. He, his wife Gina and their family have been attending Resurrection since 2008.
A few days ago I shared a lunchtime meal with a member of our congregation. While we talked about a variety of matters, our primary reason for meeting was to discuss how this particular gentleman could use his experiences, skills, and abilities to mentor young adults.
As a seasoned businessman and an unfinished, growing yet mature Christian, this man had a desire to connect with younger people in order that he might help shape their lives both professionally and spiritually. This gentleman humbly opened himself to what God might want to do through his life’s experiences to inspire, encourage and equip young, growing Christians.Who are you feeling compelled to invest in; making the most of the gifts, skills and knowledge that God has used to shape you?
Each of us has unique experiences, skills and wisdom to share. I believe we are all good at something. What are you good at? I recently asked a member of our congregation, “What are you good at that you could pass on to others?” Her response, “I’m best at getting up and trying again after I fail. I have failed more than I have succeeded but one thing is for sure, I have learned that God wants me to get back up and try again. I think I can help people be strong, have hope and try again.”
You have skills and abilities that our creative God has uniquely graced you with. It is very likely that there is at least one or two ways in which you could honor God by sharing your unique experiences and knowledge. In what ways are you using those skills and abilities to participate with God to restore the world towards its intended wholeness?


Download the GPS App

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224, United States
913.897.0120
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment