Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Daily Guide-The Daily Devotional grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church in Leawood, Kansas, United States for Wednesday, 7 October 2015 - "Prophets as chosen vessels"

The Daily Guide-The Daily Devotional grow. pray. study. from The Resurrection United Methodist Church in Leawood, Kansas, United States for Wednesday, 7 October 2015 - "Prophets as chosen vessels"

Daily Scripture: Jeremiah 1:4 Here is the word of Adonai that came to me:
5 “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you;
before you were born, I separated you for myself.
I have appointed you to be a prophet to the nations.”
6 I said, “Oh, Adonai Elohim, I don’t even know how to speak! I’m just a child!” 7 But Adonai said to me, “Don’t say, ‘I’m just a child.’
“For you will go to whomever I send you,
and you will speak whatever I order you.
8 Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you, says Adonai,
to rescue you.”
9 Then Adonai put out his hand and touched my mouth, and Adonai said to me,
“There! I have put my words in your mouth.
10 Today I have placed you over nations and kingdoms
to uproot and to tear down,
to destroy and to demolish,
to build and to plant.”
Ezekiel 2:1 He said to me, “Human being! Stand up! I want to speak with you!” 2 As he spoke to me, a spirit entered me and put me on my feet, and I heard him who was speaking to me. 3 He said, “Human being! I am sending you to the people of Isra’el, that nation of rebels who have rebelled against me — they and their ancestors have been transgressing against me to this very day. 4 Because they are defiant, hardhearted children, I am sending you; and you are to tell them, ‘Here is what Adonai Elohim says.’ 5 Whether they listen or not, this rebellious house will still know that a prophet has been among them!
Reflection Questions:
Jeremiah was a prophet for forty years or more. It was a hard, lonely ministry. He preached that Babylon would conquer Jerusalem and that his wayward, wicked fellow citizens could no longer count on God’s protection. And God called Ezekiel to speak to exiled people in Babylon, after Jeremiah’s warnings had come true. Those were not easy callings, but both prophets chose to make an eternal impact rather than to pursue popularity or riches.
  • Jeremiah said, “I don’t know how to speak because I’m only a child.” Do you sense that God may be tugging at your heart to do something you have “good” reasons not to do? If you’ve seriously studied your gifts and talents, make sure the call fits them (remembering that we sometimes discover gifts by trying something new). Ask people you trust to help you confirm the call. If the call is still there, list your reasons for “taking a pass.” Seriously ask God in prayer to help you decide how valid your fears or competing priorities are.
  • Are you afraid to try something and “fail”? God spoke to that fear in Ezekiel: “Whether they listen or whether they refuse….they will know that a prophet has been among them.” God seemed to be saying, “Ezekiel, if you’re following my calling, you can’t ‘fail’—not really.” Do you believe that? Have you, or will you, act on that insight?
Today’s Prayer:
Lord God, long ago young Samuel said, “Speak, Lord—your servant is listening.” Give me a listening heart, alert to your call(s) on my life. Amen.
Insights from Angela LaVallie

Angela LaVallie is the Worship Logistics Program Director at Resurrection. She oversees preparing the Sanctuary for worship, supports Vibe worship and volunteers in the Student Center, provides oversight for Holy Communion at the Leawood campus, assists with worship logistics at conferences, and oversees community events and meals.
Coming soon…

Our GPS Insights blog shares reflections each day from our pastors, staff and congregants.

Download the GPS App

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224 United States
913.897.0120
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment