Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Word Among Us: A Catholic Devotional based on the Daily Mass Reading & Meditation for Friday, October 9, 2015

The Word Among Us: A Catholic Devotional based on the Daily Mass Reading & Meditation for Friday, October 9, 2015
Meditation: Luke 11:15 But some of them said, “It is by Ba‘al-Zibbul” — the ruler of the demons — “that he expels the demons.” 16 And others, trying to trap him, demanded from him a sign from Heaven. 17 But he, knowing what they were thinking, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, with one house collapsing on another. 18 So if the Adversary too is divided against himself, how can his kingdom survive? I’m asking because you claim it is by Ba‘al-Zibbul that I drive out the demons. 19 If I drive out demons by Ba‘al-Zibbul, by whom do your people drive them out? So, they will be your judges! 20 But if I drive out demons by the finger of God,[
Luke 11:20 Exodus 31:18] then the Kingdom of God has come upon you!
21 “When a strong man who is fully equipped for battle guards his own house, his possessions are secure. 22 But when someone stronger attacks and defeats him, he carries off all the armor and weaponry on which the man was depending, and divides up the spoils. 23 Those who are not with me are against me, and those who do not gather with me are scattering.
24 “When an unclean spirit comes out of a person, it travels through dry country seeking rest. On finding none, it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’ 25 When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. 26 Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they come and live there — so that in the end the person is worse off than he was before.”
Saint Denis, Bishop, and Companions, Martyrs (Optional Memorial)
When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his possessions are safe. (Luke 11:21)
Many an interior designer has placed a colorful bowl on a side table as a decoration, only to find later that items like lost keys, a few coins, a lone earring, a ticket stub, a screw, or a button has been tossed in. Before long, the bowl is completely cluttered with litter and junk. But if you put an inch of water and a gardenia blossom in the same empty bowl, the whole house becomes fragrant and attractive.
You are like that bowl! On the cross, Jesus removed all your guilt and pardoned all your sins. You are clean and beautiful, a stunning creation reflecting the image of God.
So what are you going to do with this bowl? How will you use it? You can fill it with the words of Scripture and the pure desires God has given you. You can fill it with praise and thanksgiving for all that the Lord has done for you. You can set your mind on things of heaven and your hope on the grace that God pours out every day. You can keep it clean and in order by examining your conscience regularly, confessing your sins, and receiving his deep mercy.
You are a perfectly designed vessel of the Lord. You are delightful and important to him. Remind yourself of that often. The truths you read in Scripture apply to you: “I can do all things that I am faced with today. I am blessed when I follow the Lord, like a tree planted near running water. God is mindful of me; he is always eager to fill me with his Spirit. God is good and forgiving and abounding in kindness toward me all the time. He is prepared to do wonderful things for me.”
Speak like that to yourself, especially when negative thoughts loom. Speaking truths like these can fill the void that negative and weakening thoughts would otherwise occupy. In Jesus, you are loved and worthy to receive God’s blessings. Speak these words to the areas of your life that seem lacking. And laugh at the lies the devil whispers in your ear!
“Jesus, today I will fill my house with you. Your word is life to me, and because of it, I am blessed.” Amen!
Joel 1:13 Cohanim, put on sackcloth, and weep!
Wail, you who serve at the altar!
Come, lie in sackcloth all night long,
you who serve my God!
For the grain offering and drink offering are withheld
from the house of your God.
14 Proclaim a holy fast,
call for a solemn assembly,
gather the leaders
and all who live in the land
to the house of Adonai your God,
and cry out to Adonai,
15 “Oh no! The Day!
The Day of Adonai is upon us!
As destruction from Shaddai
it is coming!
2:1 “Blow the shofar in Tziyon!
Sound an alarm on my holy mountain!”
Let all living in the land tremble,
for the Day of Adonai is coming! It’s upon us! —
2 a day of darkness and gloom,
a day of clouds and thick fog;
a great and mighty horde is spreading
like blackness over the mountains.
There has never been anything like it,
nor will there ever be again,
not even after the years
of many generations.
Psalm 9:2 (1) I give thanks to Adonai with all my heart.
I will tell about all your wonderful deeds.
3 (2) I will be glad and exult in you.
I will sing praise to your name, ‘Elyon.
6 (5) You rebuked the nations, destroyed the wicked,
blotted out their name forever and ever.
16 (15) The nations have drowned in the pit they dug,
caught their own feet in the net they hid.
8 (7) But Adonai is enthroned forever;
he has set up his throne for judgment.
9 (8) He will judge the world in righteousness;
he will judge the peoples fairly.
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment