Thursday, September 29, 2016

gotandem "Parent Care" for Thursday, 29 September 2016

gotandem "Parent Care" for Thursday, 29 September 2016
Read

"And why do you, by your traditions, violate the direct commandments of God? For instance, God says, 'Honor your father and mother,' and 'Anyone who speaks evil of father or mother must be put to death.' But you say, 'You don't need to honor your parents by caring for their needs if you give the money to God instead.' And so, by your own tradition, you nullify the direct commandment of God" (Matthew 15:3-6).
Reflect I was taught by my parents to be completely self-sufficient. I took it to heart, when I went to college, I didn’t ask them for much. They paid a third of my college, I took care of the rest somehow and so I do my best not to ask for anything. I’m my own man, made by them. But my wife started talking a little while ago about what we’re going to do if they get too old to take care of themselves. It shocked me because I figured they’d always be independent. And then I realized...they might not.
So we had the discussion. We decided they could move in with us. Either side, whenever they needed to. Because a) We love them and b) We love them. Obviously things might change in the future, and we have to take their preferences into account, but when it comes down to it, we love them. And whatever they need, we want to be able to provide.
Respond
Take this week to think about how you deal with your parents.
View this message in goTandem
-------
gotandem "Excellently Excelling" for Thursday, 29 September 2016
Since you excel in so many ways--in your faith, your gifted speakers, your knowledge, your enthusiasm, and your love from us--I want you to excel also in this gracious act of giving.[2 Corinthians 8:7]
What do you excel in?
View this message in goTandem
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment