Monday, September 25, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "God’s Gifts" for Tuesday, 26 September 2017 - Read Philippians 4:10-19


issue coverThe Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "God’s Gifts" for Tuesday, 26 September 2017 - Read Philippians 4:10-19
-------

Philippians 4:10 In union with the Lord I greatly rejoice that now, after this long time, you have let your concern for me express itself again. Of course, you were concerned for me all along, but you had no opportunity to express it. 11 Not that I am saying this to call attention to any need of mine; since, as far as I am concerned, I have learned to be content regardless of circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in want, and I know what it is to have more than enough — in everything and in every way I have learned the secret of being full and being hungry, of having abundance and being in need. 13 I can do all things through him who gives me power.
14 Nevertheless, it was good of you to share in my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the early days of my work spreading the Good News, when I left Macedonia, not a single congregation shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving — only you. 16 Indeed, in Thessalonica when I needed it, you sent me aid twice. 17 I am not seeking the gift; rather, I am looking for what will increase the credit balance of your account. 18 I have been more than paid in full: I have been filled, since I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent — they are a fragrant aroma,[Philippians 4:18 Genesis 8:21; Exodus 29:18] an acceptable sacrifice, one that pleases God well. 19 Moreover, my God will fill every need of yours according to his glorious wealth, in union with the Messiah Yeshua.
-------
Paul wrote, “My God will meet your every need out of his riches in the glory that is found in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19 (CEB))
I once received some luxurious skin products as a gift. I was grateful to receive them as they were something I had wanted but could not afford myself. For some time they sat on my cupboard where I could admire them. They were beautifully packaged and seemed too precious to open and use. Then I realized that it was foolish not to use what I had been so generously given. So I opened and enjoyed them.
Valuable gifts like this are a bit like the gifts God so graciously gives us. God’s gifts are freely given. One of these gifts is God’s son, Jesus, and the forgiveness and eternal life he offers us. Unless we accept and follow Jesus, we cannot experience the freedom this gift from God brings. God also gives us spiritual gifts to use as we serve God’s kingdom. Unused, they do not benefit us or others. But as we accept them and open them, we can use them to glorify God and serve others.
Read more from the author, here.
More from Ann Stewart
I recently sold my lovely cottage on the river in Goolwa and moved to Adelaide to be closer to family. I have downsized, and that meant a lot of culling. God has been so good in providing for all my needs and I love my new little unit. In front of my kitchen window was a lovely bottle brush tree. After living there for a short time I found that this tree, although beautiful, was preventing the light from coming into my kitchen and living room. I made the decision to have the tree removed. Now my kitchen is full of light and the morning sun shines in filling the room with warmth and light. It has also opened up the view and now I can see a variety of other trees from the window including a flowering gum tree and a jacaranda.
Thinking about the decision to remove the tree reminded me of the need at times to examine my life. I asked myself if there was anything in my life that was blocking God's light from entering. What did I need to remove from my life to be closer to my Lord? The things that needed attention were not necessarily bad in themselves. However, like the bottle brush tree, maybe they needed culling to improve my relationship with God in this season.
It's been an interesting process and one that will hopefully lead me to identify and, with the help of the Holy Spirit, remove anything that is blocking God's love from shining in and through me to others.
The Author: Ann Stewart (South Australia, Australia)
Thought for the Day: I can use the gifts God has given me to serve others.
Prayer: Loving Father, thank you for giving us good gifts to use to help build up your church. We pray as Jesus taught us, saying, “Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil” (Luke 11:2-4, KJV). Amen.
Prayer focus: 
To recognize God’s gifts
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment