Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "River Laundry" for Thursday, 28 September 2017 - Read James 2:14-18


issue coverThe Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "River Laundry" for Thursday, 28 September 2017 - Read James 2:14-18
-------
James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone claims to have faith but has no actions to prove it? Is such “faith” able to save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food, 16 and someone says to him, “Shalom! Keep warm and eat hearty!” without giving him what he needs, what good does it do? 17 Thus, faith by itself, unaccompanied by actions, is dead.
18 But someone will say that you have faith and I have actions. Show me this faith of yours without the actions, and I will show you my faith by my actions!
-------
Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. (James 2:17 (NIV))
While riding through a large city in a developing country, I saw a mother and three children standing knee-deep in a muddy, green river. “Those people are washing clothes,” our driver explained. That family washing clothes amid the polluted canal’s floating debris remains, for me, a poignant scene.
Certainly, such moments make me grateful for the conveniences I have, including a washing machine. However, if the memory of that moment only makes me grateful for my own blessings, that would not be enough.
Although I may not be able to lead a campaign for ending poverty or improving access to plumbing in another country, I can offer compassion and help to those around me. Maybe a grandmother’s lawn needs mowing, a neighbor feels desperate to find a job, or a student could use a math tutor. From picking up trash to giving away groceries, the needs are endless. As Jesus reminded his disciples, “The poor you will always have with you” (Mark 14:7). In this hurting world, we can reflect Jesus’ love by acting to meet one need at a time.
The Author: Paula M. Miller (California, USA)
Thought for the Day: When I see someone in need, God calls me to act with compassion.
Prayer: Dear Lord, show us those who need compassionate words or actions. Give us the will and the strength to serve them. Amen.
Prayer focus: Children in developing countries
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment