Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States ""Undaunted Faith" for Friday, 29 September 2017 - Read Psalm 27:1-3, 13-14

issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States ""Undaunted Faith" for Friday, 29 September 2017 - Read Psalm 27:1-3, 13-14
-------
Psalm 27:1 (0) By David:
(1) Adonai is my light and salvation;
whom do I need to fear?
Adonai is the stronghold of my life;
of whom should I be afraid?
2 When evildoers assailed me
to devour my flesh,
my adversaries and foes,
they stumbled and fell.
3 If an army encamps against me,
my heart will not fear;
if war breaks out against me,
even then I will keep trusting.
13 If I hadn’t believed that I would see
Adonai’s goodness in the land of the living, . . .
14 Put your hope in Adonai, be strong,
and let your heart take courage!
Yes, put your hope in Adonai!
-------
Be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.(Psalm 27:14 (NIV))
Despite living a tumultuous life, King David did not waver when it came to his hope in the righteousness of God. He described his undaunted faith in Psalm 27:13, declaring, “I have sure faith that I will experience the LORD’s goodness in the land of the living” (CEB). David had faith in God’s supremacy no matter the situation.
Psalm 27 took on fresh significance for me when on February 7, 2014, I was diagnosed with a spinal condition called spondylolisthesis. As an athletically active seventeen-year-old, I found the diagnosis difficult to cope with. My impatience toward God steadily grew as month after month of praying passed with no miracle. My focus was solely on attaining healing from my chronic back pain, and my relationship with God became shaped by my difficult circumstances.
But God spoke to me through my situation. With the prodding of the Holy Spirit, I eventually learned to trust God based on who God is rather than what God gives. While I’ve experienced no healing miracle yet, I have seen God working through my darkest season to draw me closer. God continues to be faithful and gracious, and that’s a living hope I can cling to.
The Author: Kevin Cochrane (Pennsylvania, USA)
Thought for the Day: Hope is having faith in God no matter the situation.
Prayer: Merciful God, help us learn to trust you in all the seasons of our lives, knowing that you want the best for us. Amen.
Prayer focus:
Young athletes
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment