Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Reflecting God: A Devotional for Holy Living from The Foundry Publishing of the Church of the Nazarene in Kansas City, Missouri, United States for Wednesday, 31 October 2018 with Scripture from Deuteronomy 30: 1-10 "Taken Back" by Cameron Pence.

Reflecting God: A Devotional for Holy Living from The Foundry Publishing of the Church of the Nazarene in Kansas City, Missouri, United States for Wednesday, 31 October 2018 with Scripture from Deuteronomy 30: 1-10 "Taken Back" by Cameron Pence.
***
Deuteronomy 30:
1 (RY: ii, LY: iv) “When the time arrives that all these things have come upon you, both the blessing and the curse which I have presented to you; and you are there among the nations to whichAdonai your God has driven you; then, at last, you will start thinking about what has happened to you; 2 and you will return to Adonai your God and pay attention to what he has said, which will be exactly what I am ordering you to do today — you and your children, with all your heart and all your being. 3 At that point, Adonai your God will reverse your exile and show you mercy; he will return and gather you from all the peoples to which Adonaiyour God scattered you. 4 If one of yours was scattered to the far end of the sky, Adonai your God will gather you even from there; he will go there and get you. 5 Adonai your God will bring you back into the land your ancestors possessed, and you will possess it; he will make you prosper there, and you will become even more numerous than your ancestors. 6 Then Adonai your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your children, so that you will love Adonai your God with all your heart and all your being, and thus you will live. (RY: iii, LY: v) 7 Adonai your God will put all these curses on your enemies, on those who hated and persecuted you; 8 but you will return and pay attention to what Adonai says and obey all his mitzvot which I am giving you today. 9 Then Adonai your God will give you more than enough in everything you set out to do — the fruit of your body, the fruit of your livestock, and the fruit of your land will all do well; for Adonaiwill once again rejoice to see you do well, just as he rejoiced in your ancestors.
10 “However, all this will happen only if you pay attention to what Adonai your God says, so that you obey his mitzvot and regulations which are written in this book of the Torah, if you turn to Adonai your God with all your heart and all your being.
(Complete Jewish Bible)
and you will return to Adonai your God and pay attention to what he has said, which will be exactly what I am ordering you to do today — you and your children, with all your heart and all your being. At that point, Adonai your God will reverse your exile and show you mercy; he will return and gather you from all the peoples to which Adonaiyour God scattered you. (Deuteronomy 30:2a-3a).
"Taken Back" by Cameron Pence
God's covenant with God's people brings with it the promise of forgiveness. God is not shy in all of Israel's history about God's desire to forgive. From the first sin to golden calves to the prophets, God continually shows a steadfast commitment to forgiveness. God's people can never seem to do anything to make God give up on them. Despite several set-backs, bouts of grumbling and disbelief, and sins against the Creator, God continues offers mercy and grace. The chance for obedience is never taken away.
Often, we forget this covenant and are tempted to be overcome with guilt and regret. Though we see the many transgressions for which God has forgiven God's people, we still somehow convince ourselves that our sin will be the " bridge too far" for God's mercy. This is, again, where the power of the covenant between God and creation is so powerful. It is a wonderful moment when the weight of our guilt is taken away by the realization that God constantly wants to take us, yes even us, back. That our transgressions have not taken us out of the ifinite scope of God's love and forgiveness.
"I Must Tell Jesus" by Elisha A. Hoffman
1.
I must tell Jesus all of my trials;
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me;
He ever loves and cares for His own.
Refrain: I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
2. I must tell Jesus all of my troubles;
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him, He will deliver,
And in my griefs with me He will blend.
Refrain: I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
3. Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus;
He all my cares and sorrows will share,
Refrain: I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
4. O how the world to evil allures me!
O how my heart is tempted to sin!
I must tell Jesus; He will enable
Over the world the vic’try to win.
Refrain: I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
“Therefore, brothers, let it be known to you that through this man is proclaimed forgiveness of sins!
(Acts 13:38).
Please pray:

For the development of Christian leaders in Trinidad and Tobago.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment