Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Wednesday, 31 October 2018 - Revelation 21:1-6a

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Wednesday, 31 October 2018 - Revelation 21:1-6a
Revelation 21:
1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth,[Revelation 21:1 Isaiah 65:17, 66:22] for the old heaven and the old earth had passed away, and the sea was no longer there. 2 Also I saw the holy city, New Yerushalayim, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 I heard a loud voice from the throne say, “See! God’s Sh’khinah is with mankind, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and he himself, God-with-them, will be their God.[Revelation 21:3 Leviticus 26:11–12; Isaiah 7:14; 8:8, 10; Jeremiah 31:33(34); Ezekiel 37:27; 2 Chronicles 6:18] 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will no longer be any death; and there will no longer be any mourning, crying or pain; because the old order has passed away.”
5 Then the One sitting on the throne said, “Look! I am making everything new!” Also he said, “Write, ‘These words are true and trustworthy!’” 6 And he said to me, “It is done! I am the ‘A’ and the ‘Z,’ the Beginning and the End. To anyone who is thirsty I myself will give water free of charge from the Fountain of Life.
(Complete Jewish Bible).
***

The first glance at two people deeply in love on their wedding day takes the breath away. Dressed in their finest, presenting themselves to each other in a covenant of faithfulness and promise, it is a moment of joy and excitement. The preview God gives us of eternal life in Revelation 21 captures the exhilaration of a wedding day. It is a new beginning. God is making a home for the beloved, and they will dwell together forever. The old things have passed away, so there are no signs of anxiety or loneliness anymore. The old tears are wiped away, so there is only the amazing joy that brings two together in love. "See, I am making all things new," says our God. "It is trustworthy and true."
Gracious God, your glance toward me has always been filled with love. Fill me with your Spirit so that my longing eyes may show you my love in return. Make me new for our life together. Amen.
Betsy Dartt, '81
Visitation Pastor, Our Savior's Lutheran, Spring Valley, Minn.
Revelation 21:
1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them;
4 he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away."
5 And the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true."
6 Then he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.
 (New Revised Standard Version).
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul , Minnesota 55108, United States 
***

No comments:

Post a Comment