Sunday, October 21, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 21 October 2018 - "I Received the Living God," ELW 477



The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 21 October 2018 - "I Received the Living God," ELW 477
Refrain:

I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
1. Jesus said: I am the bread,
kneaded long to give you life;
you who will partake of me
need not ever fear to die.
Refrain:
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
2. Jesus said: I am the way,
and my Father longs for you;
so I come to bring you home
to be one with us anew. Refrain
Refrain:
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
3. Jesus said: I am the truth;
come and follow close to me.
You will know me in your heart,
and my word shall make you free.
Refrain:
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
4. Jesus said: I am the life,
far from whom no thing can grow,
but receive this living bread,
and my Spirit you shall know.
Refrain:
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
I received the living God,
and my heart is full of joy.
***
The new relationship God has in store for God's people is not just given to your neighbor down the street or the person next to you in the pew in church. The new relationship God has in store for God's people is meant for you! God wants you to enjoy a new relationship with God and with your neighbor.
Often when we hear this good news, we think it applies to someone else who needs it more than we do. We may also think it is aimed at someone worthier than we are. However, God wants you to know that the good news of a new relationship is meant for you.
It is significant that we hear the phrase "for you" at the altar when we receive communion. There you are told that you receive the body and blood of Jesus given and shed "for you." In the hymn "I Received the Living God," we sing about Jesus coming into our lives through this sacrament to empower us to enjoy the new relationship God wants with us.
Living God, thank you for loving us and wanting a renewed relationship with us. You empower and strengthen us by giving us the body and blood of your Son. Help us to be strengthened through communion to enjoy this new relationship and to love and serve our neighbors. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.
Josh Schunk, '04
Pastor, Zion Lutheran Church, Oelwein, Iowa
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment