Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church in Nashville, Tennessee, United States with the Daily Devotional For Wednesday, OCTOBER 31, 2018 "Relationship with God" by Leopoldina João Pedro (Luanda, Angola)

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church in Nashville, Tennessee, United States with the Daily Devotional For Wednesday, OCTOBER 31, 2018 "Relationship with God" by Leopoldina João Pedro (Luanda, Angola)
(Image: Pixabay)
Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2 (KJV))
***

A few years ago, I was so busy taking care of the house, attending church meetings, helping people in need, and doing other tasks that I ended up leaving aside the most important thing: nurturing my relationship with God. This didn’t happen because I had forgotten God. On the contrary, I could not get through the day without God. I prayed unceasingly for several people and for my relationship with God out of habit. But I was so distracted by the many tasks I had to do that I did not spend enough time alone with God to feel connected and renewed.
In today’s reading, Martha had no time to be with the Lord, for she was “worried and distracted by many things,” forgetting “the better part” (CEB). I felt upset at the thought that I was acting like Martha.
At any given time, we can be busy with many things that we believe will please God. However, in reality, we may be neglecting what is essential to keeping us closer to God and doing God’s will. It is important that as we are seeking to serve the Lord, we also devote our lives to prayer and Bible study to help us to know God better and to discern the best role for us in God’s kingdom.
TODAY'S PRAYER: Merciful God, help us to choose the better part which you have prepared in order to nourish our relationship with you. Amen.
TODAY'S READING: Luke 10:38-42
Luke 10:
38 On their way Yeshua and his talmidim came to a village where a woman named Marta welcomed him into her home. 39 She had a sister called Miryam who also sat at the Lord’s feet and heard what he had to say. 40 But Marta was busy with all the work to be done; so, going up to him, she said, “Sir, don’t you care that my sister has been leaving me to do all the work by myself?” 41 However, the Lord answered her, “Marta, Marta, you are fretting and worrying about so many things! 42 But there is only one thing that is essential. Miryam has chosen the right thing, and it won’t be taken away from her.” (Complete Jewish Bible).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: 
Spending time alone with God equips me to serve others.
PRAYER FOCUS: Someone who feels too busy
***

No comments:

Post a Comment