Friday, October 19, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, October 20, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, October 20, 2018 "I'm So Glad Jesus Lifted Me," ELW 860
1.
I'm so glad Jesus lifted me.
I'm so glad Jesus lifted me.
I'm so glad Jesus lifted me,
singing glory, hallelujah! Jesus lifted me.
2. Satan had me bound, Jesus lifted me.
Satan had me bound, Jesus lifted me.
Satan had me bound, Jesus lifted me,
singing glory, hallelujah! Jesus lifted me.
3. When I was in trouble, Jesus lifted me.
When I was in trouble, Jesus lifted me.
When I was in trouble, Jesus lifted me,
singing glory, hallelujah! Jesus lifted me.
***
It is so important for us to remember that our renewed relationship with God does not come from within ourselves. Left to our own devices and our own reasoning, many of us would not turn to God for renewal. Instead, we would turn to any number of other objects, people or substances.
The hymn "I'm So Glad Jesus Lifted Me" reminds us that it is only through the call of God in Jesus that we are able to call upon God for this renewal. God knows that we cannot come to God on our own, so God sends Jesus into the world for us. Jesus has come to overcome our struggles and to overcome Satan. In Jesus' presence with us we are able to enjoy this gift of a new relationship with God and with other people.
Giving God, thank you for sending Jesus into the world to overcome our struggles and to overcome the evils that we face. Help us to give thanks to you daily for the renewal that you bring through your Son. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Josh Schunk, '04
Pastor, Zion Lutheran Church, Oelwein, Iowa
THE LUTHER SEMINARY ®
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment