Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - Psalm 91:9-16

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - Psalm 91:9-16
Psalm 91:
9 For you have made Adonai, the Most High,
who is my refuge, your dwelling-place.
10 No disaster will happen to you,
no calamity will come near your tent;
11 for he will order his angels to care for you
and guard you wherever you go.
12 They will carry you in their hands,
so that you won’t trip on a stone.
13 You will tread down lions and snakes,
young lions and serpents you will trample underfoot.
14 “Because he loves me, I will rescue him;
because he knows my name, I will protect him.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him.
I will be with him when he is in trouble.
I will extricate him and bring him honor.
16 I will satisfy him with long life
and show him my salvation.”
(Complete Jewish Bible).
***

When we learn that God has redefined our relationship with God through the death and resurrection of Jesus, we also discover that we are called by the Holy Spirit to enjoy this newly restored relationship. We enjoy this relationship by making the Lord our refuge. This means that we run to the Lord when we are struggling in life because we know that God will take care of us. This also means that we turn to the Lord when life is going well because we know that God celebrates with us.
Seeing the Lord as our refuge brings innumerable blessings into our lives. We can be confident that God hears us every time we call upon God's name, and answers each and every prayer. At the end of our lives in this world, we know there is something better waiting for us when we take our place in the presence of our Lord and Savior forever!
Good and gracious God, thank you for allowing us to take refuge in you. Help us to call upon your name in prayer, in praise and in thanksgiving each and every day and to live looking forward to that day when we will be with you. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.
Josh Schunk, '04
Pastor, Zion Lutheran Church, Oelwein, Iowa
Psalm 91:
9 Because you have made the Lord your refuge, the Most High your dwelling place,
10 no evil shall befall you, no scourge come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.
12 On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the adder, the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot.
14 Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name.
15 When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them.
16 With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation.
(New Revised Standard Version).
THE LUTHER SEMINARY ®
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment