Sunday, October 28, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States Labels for Sunday, 28 October 2018 "My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less," ELW 597

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States Labels for Sunday, 28 October 2018 "My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less," ELW 597
1. My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
no merit of my own I claim,
but wholly lean on Jesus' name.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand.
2. When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace;
in ev'ry high and stormy gale
my anchor holds within the veil.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand.
3. His oath, his covenant, his blood
sustain me in the raging flood;
when all supports are washed away,
he then is all my hope and stay.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand.
4. When he shall come with trumpet sound,
oh, may I then in him be found,
clothed in his righteousness alone,
redeemed to stand before the throne!
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand.
***
Today we think about Reformation--of body, mind and spirit. "Officially," as in "capital R," it's Reformation Sunday, or as some would put it, Recognized and Remembered Sunday. But of course, one day is nowhere near enough. Reformation--of self, of community, of country, of this world of sin and sorrow. "Wow! Why not reform the universe while we're at it? Talk about your impossible dream, Pastor Keith."
Well! I guess you weren't "listening" this past week! I had hoped by now you would have embraced the theme intended to run through all this week's "hopeful" pauses--that of Hope. Hope comes in various forms, shapes and sizes; hope may be temporary, ebbing and flowing as do the tides in Cook Inlet, offshore Anchorage. They are the second-highest tides in the world, surging in and out over mud flats that have held victims deadly fast even as rescuers frantically pulled and pried. But what good is a world with only temporary hope? Not much! And thanks to God, that is not the world for me.
We give you thanks, good and gracious God, that our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. On Christ the solid rock we stand; all other ground is deadly, sinking sand. Empower us to share our hope--your hope--with all who may be sinking around us. Amen and Amen.
Keith Muschinske, '89
Chaplain, USAF, Retired, Eagle River, Alaska

The Luther Seminary

No comments:

Post a Comment