Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Upper Room Daily Reflections from The United Methodist Church in Nashville Tennessee United States from Monday, 29 October 2018 through Sunday, 4 November 2018 for Tuesday, 30 October 2018 "God Remains"

The Upper Room Daily Reflections from The United Methodist Church in Nashville Tennessee United States from Monday, 29 October 2018 through Sunday, 4 November 2018 for Tuesday, 30 October 2018 "God Remains
Today’s Reflection:

God Remains
HELPER OF ALL who are helpless,
we call on you in times of stress
and in times of devastation.
Pick up the broken pieces
of our hearts, our homes, our history
and restore them to the way they were,
or give us the means of starting over
when everything seems lost.
O God, our help in ages past,
we place all our hope in you. Amen. (From “God Remains” by Miriam Therese Winter, Hope: It’s More Than Wishful Thinking)
From “God Remains” by Miriam Therese Winter, page 19 in Hope: It’s More Than Wishful Thinking. Compiled and introduced by Amy Lyles Wilson. Copyright © 2010 by Fresh Air Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.
Today’s Question: 
Pray today’s prayer. 
HELPER OF ALL who are helpless,
we call on you in times of stress
and in times of devastation.
Pick up the broken pieces
of our hearts, our homes, our history
and restore them to the way they were,
or give us the means of starting over
when everything seems lost.
O God, our help in ages past,
we place all our hope in you. Amen.
Today’s Scripture: 
Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul! (Psalm 146:1, NRSV)
This Week:
pray for refugees.


Did You Know?
In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center website.
This week we remember: Donald M. Baillie (October 31).
Donald Macpherson Baillie was a Scottish theologian, ecumenist, and parish minister. Wikipedia
Born: November 5, 1887
Died: October 31, 1954, Stobswell, United Kingdom
Education: University of Edinburgh
Books: God was in ChristThe theology of the sacramentsTo Whom Shall We Go?Out of Nazareth: A Selection of Sermons and Lectures

Lectionary Readings for Sunday, 4 November 2018
(Courtesy of Vanderbilt Divinity Library)
Ruth 1:1-18
Psalm 146, (19-22)
Hebrews 9:11-14
Mark 12:28-34
Ruth 1:
1 Back in the days when the judges were judging, at a time when there was a famine in the land, a certain man from Beit-Lechem went to live in the territory of Mo’av — he, his wife and his two sons. 2 The man’s name was Elimelekh, his wife’s name was Na‘omi, and his two sons were named Machlon and Kilyon; they were Efratim from Beit-Lechem in Y’hudah. They arrived in the plain of Mo’av and settled there. 3 Elimelekh, Na‘omi’s husband, died; and she was left, she and her two sons. 4 They took wives for themselves from the women of Mo’av; the name of the one was ‘Orpah; and the name of the other was Rut. They lived there for about ten years. 5 Then Machlon and Kilyon died, both of them; and the woman was left with neither her two sons nor her husband.
6 So she prepared to return with her daughters-in-law from the plain of Mo’av; for in the plain of Mo’av she had heard how Adonaihad paid attention to his people by giving them food. 7 She left the place where she was with her two daughters-in-law and took the road leading back to Y’hudah.
8 Na‘omi said to her two daughters-in-law, “Each of you, go back to your mother’s house. May Adonai show grace to you, as you did to those who died and to me. 9 May Adonai grant you security in the home of a new husband.” Then she kissed them, but they began weeping aloud. 10 They said to her, “No; we want to return with you to your people.” 11 Na‘omi said, “Go back, my daughters. Why do you want to go with me? Do I still have sons in my womb who could become your husbands? 12 Go back, my daughters; go your way; for I’m too old to have a husband. Even if I were to say, ‘I still have hope’; even if I had a husband tonight and bore sons; 13 would you wait for them until they grew up? Would you refuse to marry, just for them? No, my daughters. On your behalf I feel very bitter that the hand of Adonai has gone out against me.” 14 Again they wept aloud. Then ‘Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye. But Rut stuck with her. 15 She said, “Look, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her god; go back, after your sister-in-law.” 16 But Rut said,
“Don’t press me to leave you
and stop following you;
for wherever you go, I will go;
and wherever you stay, I will stay.
Your people will be my people
and your God will be my God.
17 Where you die, I will die;
and there I will be buried.
May Adonai bring terrible curses on me,
and worse ones as well,
if anything but death
separates you and me.”
18 When Na‘omi saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more to her.

Psalm 146:1 Halleluyah!
Praise Adonai, my soul!
2 I will praise Adonai as long as I live.
I will sing praise to my God all my life.
3 Don’t put your trust in princes
or in mortals, who cannot help.
4 When they breathe their last, they return to dust;
on that very day all their plans are gone.
5 Happy is he whose help is Ya‘akov’s God,
whose hope is in Adonai his God.
6 He made heaven and earth,
the sea and everything in them;
he keeps faith forever.
7 He secures justice for the oppressed,
he gives food to the hungry.
Adonai sets prisoners free,
8 Adonai opens the eyes of the blind,
Adonai lifts up those who are bent over.
Adonai loves the righteous.
9 Adonai watches over strangers,
he sustains the fatherless and widows;
but the way of the wicked he twists.
10 Adonai will reign forever,
your God, Tziyon, through all generations.Halleluyah!
(19-22)
19:
1 (0) For the leader. A psalm of David:
2 (1) The heavens declare the glory of God,
the dome of the sky speaks the work of his hands.
3 (2) Every day it utters speech,
every night it reveals knowledge.
4 (3) Without speech, without a word,
without their voices being heard,
5 (4) their line goes out through all the earth
and their words to the end of the world.
In them he places a tent for the sun,
6 (5) which comes out like a bridegroom from the bridal chamber,
with delight like an athlete to run his race.
7 (6) It rises at one side of the sky,
circles around to the other side,
and nothing escapes its heat.
8 (7) The Torah of Adonai is perfect,
restoring the inner person.
The instruction of Adonai is sure,
making wise the thoughtless.
9 (8) The precepts of Adonai are right,
rejoicing the heart.
The mitzvah of Adonai is pure,
enlightening the eyes.
10 (9) The fear of Adonai is clean,
enduring forever.
The rulings of Adonai are true,
they are righteous altogether,
11 (10) more desirable than gold,
than much fine gold,
also sweeter than honey
or drippings from the honeycomb.
12 (11) Through them your servant is warned;
in obeying them there is great reward.
13 (12) Who can discern unintentional sins?
Cleanse me from hidden faults.
14 (13) Also keep your servant from presumptuous sins,
so that they won’t control me.
Then I will be blameless
and free of great offense.
15 (14) May the words of my mouth
and the thoughts of my heart
be acceptable in your presence,
Adonai, my Rock and Redeemer.
20:1 (0) For the leader. A psalm of David:
2 (1) May Adonai answer you in times of distress,
may the name of the God of Ya‘akov protect you.
3 (2) May he send you help from the sanctuary
and give you support from Tziyon.
4 (3) May he be reminded by all your grain offerings
and accept the fat of your burnt offerings. (Selah)
5 (4) May he grant you your heart’s desire
and bring all your plans to success.
6 (5) Then we will shout for joy at your victory
and fly our flags in the name of our God.
May Adonai fulfill all your requests.
7 (6) Now I know that Adonai
gives victory to his anointed one —
he will answer him from his holy heaven
with mighty victories by his right hand.
8 (7) Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we praise the name of Adonai our God.
9 (8) They will crumple and fall,
but we will arise and stand erect.
10 (9) Give victory, Adonai!
Let the King answer us the day we call.
21:1 (0) For the leader. A psalm of David:
2 (1) Adonai, the king finds joy in your strength;
what great joy he displays in your victory!
3 (2) You give him his heart’s desire;
you don’t refuse the prayer from his lips. (Selah)
4 (3) For you come to meet him with the best blessings,
you place a crown of fine gold on his head.
5 (4) He asks you for life; you give it to him,
years and years forever and ever.
6 (5) Your victory brings him great glory;
you confer on him splendor and honor.
7 (6) For you bestow on him everlasting blessings,
you make him glad with the joy of your presence.
8 (7) For the king puts his trust in Adonai,
in the grace of ‘Elyon; he will not be moved.
9 (8) Your hand will find all your enemies;
your right hand will overtake those who hate you.
10 (9) At your appearing,
you will make them like a fiery furnace.
Adonai will swallow them up in his anger;
fire will consume them.
11 (10) You will destroy from the earth their descendants,
rid humankind of their posterity;
12 (11) for they intended evil against you;
but despite their scheme, they won’t succeed.
13 (12) For you will make them turn their back
by aiming your bow at their faces.
14 (13) Arise, Adonai, in your strength;
and we will sing and praise your power.
22:1 (0) For the leader. Set to “Sunrise.” A psalm of David:
2 (1) My God! My God!
Why have you abandoned me?
Why so far from helping me,
so far from my anguished cries?
3 (2) My God, by day I call to you,
but you don’t answer;
likewise at night,
but I get no relief.
4 (3) Nevertheless, you are holy,
enthroned on the praises of Isra’el.
5 (4) In you our ancestors put their trust;
they trusted, and you rescued them.
6 (5) They cried to you and escaped;
they trusted in you and were not disappointed.
7 (6) But I am a worm, not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
8 (7) All who see me jeer at me;
they sneer and shake their heads:
9 (8) “He committed himself to Adonai,
so let him rescue him!
Let him set him free
if he takes such delight in him!”
10 (9) But you are the one who took me from the womb,
you made me trust when I was on my mother’s breasts.
11 (10) Since my birth I’ve been thrown on you;
you are my God from my mother’s womb.
12 (11) Don’t stay far from me, for trouble is near;
and there is no one to help.
13 (12) Many bulls surround me,
wild bulls of Bashan close in on me.
14 (13) They open their mouths wide against me,
like ravening, roaring lions.
15 (14) I am poured out like water;
all my bones are out of joint;
my heart has become like wax —
it melts inside me;
16 (15) my mouth is as dry as a fragment of a pot,
my tongue sticks to my palate;
you lay me down in the dust of death.
17 (16) Dogs are all around me,
a pack of villains closes in on me
like a lion [at] my hands and feet.[Psalm 22:17 Or: “They pierced my hands and feet.” See Introduction, Section VIII, paragraph 6, and Section XIV, footnote 70.]
18 (17) I can count every one of my bones,
while they gaze at me and gloat.
19 (18) They divide my garments among themselves;
for my clothing they throw dice.
20 (19) But you, Adonai, don’t stay far away!
My strength, come quickly to help me!
21 (20) Rescue me from the sword,
my life from the power of the dogs.
22 (21) Save me from the lion’s mouth!
You have answered me from the wild bulls’ horns.
23 (22) I will proclaim your name to my kinsmen;
right there in the assembly I will praise you:
24 (23) “You who fear Adonai, praise him!
All descendants of Ya‘akov, glorify him!
All descendants of Isra’el, stand in awe of him!
25 (24) For he has not despised or abhorred
the poverty of the poor;
he did not hide his face from him
but listened to his cry.”
26 (25) Because of you
I give praise in the great assembly;
I will fulfill my vows
in the sight of those who fear him.
27 (26) The poor will eat and be satisfied;
those who seek Adonai will praise him;
Your hearts will enjoy life forever.
28 (27) All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to Adonai;
all the clans of the nations
will worship in your presence.
29 (28) For the kingdom belongs to Adonai,
and he rules the nations.
30 (29) All who prosper on the earth
will eat and worship;
all who go down to the dust
will kneel before him,
including him who can’t keep himself alive,
31 (30) A descendant will serve him;
the next generation will be told of Adonai.
32 (31) They will come and proclaim
his righteousness
to a people yet unborn,
that he is the one who did it.
Hebrews 9:11 But when the Messiah appeared as cohen gadol of the good things that are happening already, then, through the greater and more perfect Tent which is not man-made (that is, it is not of this created world), 12 he entered the Holiest Place once and for all.
And he entered not by means of the blood of goats and calves, but by means of his own blood, thus setting people free forever. 13 For if sprinkling ceremonially unclean persons with the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer restores their outward purity; 14 then how much more the blood of the Messiah, who, through the eternal Spirit, offered himself to God as a sacrifice without blemish, will purify our conscience from works that lead to death, so that we can serve the living God! 

Mark 12:28 One of the Torah-teachers came up and heard them engaged in this discussion. Seeing that Yeshua answered them well, he asked him, “Which is the most important mitzvah of them all?” 29 Yeshua answered, “The most important is,
‘Sh’ma Yisra’el, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai echad [Hear, O Isra’el, the Lord our God, the Lord is one], 30 and you are to love Adonai your God with all your heart, with all your soul,with all your understanding and with all your strength.’[Mark 12:30 Deuteronomy 6:4–5]
31 The second is this:
‘You are to love your neighbor as yourself.’[Mark 12:31 Leviticus 19:18]
There is no other mitzvah greater than these.” 32 The Torah-teacher said to him, “Well said, Rabbi; you speak the truth when you say that he is one, and that there is no other besides him; 33 and that loving him with all one’s heart, understanding and strength, and loving one’s neighbor as oneself, mean more than all the burnt offerings and sacrifices.” 34 When Yeshua saw that he responded sensibly, he said to him, “You are not far from the Kingdom of God.” And after that, no one dared put to him another sh’eilah. 
(Complete Jewish Bible).
Ruth 1:1-18
Verse 1
[1] Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehemjudah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
In the land — Of Canaan. It must be early: for Boaz was born of Rahab. So Christ descended from two Gentile mothers.
Verse 2
[2] And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehemjudah. And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
Ephrathites — Bethlehem was otherwise called Ephratha. Naomi signifies my amiable or pleasant one: Mahlon and Chilon signify sickness and consumption. Probably they were sickly children, and not likely to be long-lived. Such are the products of our pleasant things, weak and infirm, fading and dying.
Verse 4
[4] And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years.
Took wives — Either these were Proselytes when they married them, or they sinned in marrying them, and therefore were punished with short life, and want of issue.
Verse 5
[5] And Mahlon and Chilion died also both of them; and the woman was left of her two sons and her husband.
Was left of her two sons, and her husband — Loss of children and widowhood are both come upon her. By whom shall she be comforted? It is God alone that is able to comfort those who are thus cast down.
Verse 6
[6] Then she arose with her daughters in law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that the LORD had visited his people in giving them bread.
Bread — That is, food; so she staid no longer there than necessity forced her.
Verse 8
[8] And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me.
Mother's house — Because daughters used to converse more frequently with their mothers, and to dwell in the same apartments with them, which then were distinct from those parts of the house where the men dwelt.
The dead — With my sons, your husbands, while they lived.
Verse 11
[11] And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
Your husbands — According to the ancient custom, Genesis 38:8, and the express law of God, Deuteronomy 25:5, which doubtless she had acquainted them with before, among other branches of the Jewish religion.
Verse 13
[13] Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the LORD is gone out against me.
It grieveth me — That you are left without the comfort of husbands or children; that I must part with such affectionate daughters; and that my circumstances are such, that I cannot invite you to go alone with me. For her condition was so mean at this time, that Ruth, when she came to her mother's city, was forced to glean for a living. It is with me, that God has a controversy. This language becomes us, when we are under affliction; tho' many others share in the trouble, yet we are to hear the voice of the rod, as if it spake only to us. But did not she wish to bring them to the worship of the God of Israel? Undoubtedly she did. But she would have them first consider upon what terms, lest having set their hand to the plow, they should look back.
Verse 14
[14] And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.
Kissed — Departed from her with a kiss. Bade her farewell for ever. She loved Naomi, but she did not love her so well, as to quit her country for her sake. Thus many have a value for Christ, and yet come short of salvation by him, because they cannot find in their hearts, to forsake other things for him. They love him, and yet leave him, because they do not love him enough, but love other things better.
Verse 15
[15] And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.
To her gods — Those that forsake the communion of saints, will certainly break off their communion with God. This she saith, to try Ruth's sincerity and constancy, and that she might intimate to her, that if she went with her, she must embrace the true religion.
Verse 17
[17] Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
There will I be buried — Not desiring to have so much as her dead body carried back into the land of Moab: but Naomi and she having joined souls, she desires they may mingle dust, in hopes of rising together, and remaining together for ever.
Verse 18
[18] When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.
Left speaking unto her — See the power of resolution! Those who are half-resolved, are like a door a-jar, which invites a thief. But resolution shuts and bolts he door, and then the devil flees from us. 
Psalm 146, 
Verse 4
[4] His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
That day — As soon as ever he is dead.

Thoughts — All his designs and endeavours either for himself or for others.
Verse 6
[6] Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
For ever — Both because he liveth for ever to fulfil his promises, and because he is eternally faithful.
Psalm (19-22)
19
Verse 1
[1] The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
The heavens — They are as a legible book, wherein he that runs may read it.
The glory — His eternal power and Godhead, his infinite wisdom and goodness.
Firmament — Or, the expansion, all the vast space extended from the earth to the highest heavens, with all its goodly furniture.
Verse 2
[2] Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
Day — Every day and night repeats these demonstrations of God's glory.
Uttereth — Or, poureth forth, constantly and abundantly, as a fountain doth water; So this Hebrew word signifies.
Knowledge — Gives us a clear knowledge or discovery of God their author.
Verse 3
[3] There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
Heard — Or, understood; there are divers nations in the world, which have several languages, so that one cannot discourse with, or be understood by another, but the heavens are such an universal teacher, that they can speak to all people, and be clearly understood by all.
Verse 4
[4] Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
Line — Their lines, the singular number being put for the plural. And this expression is very proper, because the heavens do not teach men audibly, or by speaking to their ears, but visibly by propounding things to their eyes, which is done in lines or writings.
Gone — Is spread abroad.
Earth — So as to be seen and read, by all the inhabitants of the earth.
Words — Their magnificent structure, their exquisite order, and most regular course, by which they declare their author, no less than men discover their minds by their words.
Sun — Which being the most illustrious and useful of all the heavenly bodies, is here particularly mentioned.
Verse 5
[5] Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
Bridegroom — Gloriously adorned with light as with a beautiful garment, and smiling upon the world with a pleasant countenance.
Chamber — In which he is poetically supposed to have rested all night, and thence to break forth as it were on a sudden.
Strong man — Conscious and confident of his own strength.
Verse 6
[6] His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
The ends — His course is constant from east to west, and thence to the east again. So that there is no part of the earth which doth not one time or other feel the benefit of his light and heat.
Verse 7
[7] The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
The law — The doctrine delivered to his church, whether by Moses, or by other prophets. Having discoursed hitherto of the glory of God shining forth in, the visible heavens, he now proceeds to another demonstration of God's glory, which he compares with and prefers before the former.
Perfect — Completely discovering both the nature and will of God, and the whole duty of man, what he is to believe and practice, and whatsoever is necessary to his present and eternal happiness. Whereas the creation, although it did declare so much of God, as left all men without excuse, yet did not fully manifest the will of God, nor bring men to eternal salvation.
Converting — From sin to God, from whom all men are naturally revolted.
Testimony — His law, so called because it is a witness between God and man, what God requires of man, and what upon the performance of that condition, he will do for man.
Sure — Heb. faithful or true, which is most necessary in a witness: it will not mislead any man, but will infallibly bring him to happiness.
Simple — Even persons of the lowest capacities.
Verse 8
[8] The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Right — Both in themselves, and in their effect, as guiding men in the ready way to eternal happiness.
Rejoicing — By the discoveries of God's love to sinful men, in offers and promises of mercy.
Commandment — All his commands.
Pure — Without the least mixture of error.
The eyes — Of the mind, with a compleat manifestation of God's will and man's duty: both which, the works of nature, and all the writings of men discover but darkly and imperfectly.
Verse 9
[9] The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
The fear — The law and word of God, because it is both the object and the rule, and the cause of holy fear.
Clean — Sincere, not adulterated with any mixture. Constant and unchangeable, the same for substance in all ages.
Judgments — God's laws are frequently called his judgments, because they are the declarations of his righteous will, and as it were his judicial sentence by which he expects that men should govern themselves, and by which he will judge them at the last day.
Verse 12
[12] Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
Who — Thy law, O Lord, is holy and just and good. But I fall infinitely short of it.
Cleanse — Both by justification, through the blood of thy son; and by sanctification thro' thy holy spirit. Though the first may seem to be principally intended, because he speaks of his past sins.
Secret — From the guilt of such sins as were secret either, from others; such as none knows but God and my own conscience: or, from myself; such as I never observed, or did not discern the evil of. Pardon my unknown sins, of which I never repented particularly, as I should have done.
Verse 13
[13] Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
Presumptuous — From known and evident sins, such as are committed against knowledge, against the checks of conscience, and the motions of God's spirit.
Dominion — If I be at any time tempted to such sins, Lord let them not prevail over me, and if I do fall into them, let me speedily rise again.
Verse 14
[14] Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
Let — Having prayed that God would keep him from sinful actions, he now prays that God would govern, and sanctify his words and thoughts: and this was necessary to preserve him from presumptuous sins, which have their first rise in the thoughts.
Redeemer — This expression seems to be added emphatically, and with special respect to Christ, to whom alone this word Goel can properly belong.
20
Verse 1
[1] The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee;
God of Jacob — God had made a covenant with Jacob and his posterity.
Verse 2
[2] Send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion;
Sanctuary — From the tabernacle in Zion, where the ark then was; toward which the Israelites directed their prayers.
Verse 5
[5] We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions.
Rejoice — Hereby they shew their confidence in God, and their assurance of the victory.
Name — To the honour of God.
Set up — In way of triumph.
Verse 6
[6] Now know I that the LORD saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand.
Now — We are already sure of victory by the consideration of God's power and faithfulness and love to David, and to his people. They speak as one person, because they were unanimous in this prayer.
Saveth — Will certainly save.
Strength — This shews how God will hear him, even by saving him with a strong hand.
Verse 7
[7] Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Remember — Trust in it.
Verse 8
[8] They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright.
Brought down — From their horses and chariots, to which they trusted.
Stand — Stand firmly, and keep the field.
Verse 9
[9] Save, LORD: let the king hear us when we call.
Let the king — God, the supreme monarch, the king of kings, and in a peculiar manner the king of Israel.
21
Verse 3
[3] For thou preventest him with the blessings of goodness: thou settest a crown of pure gold on his head.
Prevent — Crowning him with manifold blessings, both more and sooner than he expected.
With — With excellent blessings.
Verse 4
[4] He asked life of thee, and thou gavest it him, even length of days for ever and ever.
For ever — Thou gavest him a long life and reign here, and after that didst translate him to live with thee for ever. But this was more eminently fulfilled in Christ, who asked of his father, life, or to be saved from death, Hebrews 5:7, though with submission to his will: but his father, though he saw it necessary to take away his temporal life, yet instantly gave him another, far more noble, even the perfect possession of an everlasting life both in his soul and body, at his right hand.
Verse 5
[5] His glory is great in thy salvation: honour and majesty hast thou laid upon him.
Glory — His fame or renown.
Salvation — By reason of those great and glorious deliverances which thou hast wrought both for him, and by him.
Verse 6
[6] For thou hast made him most blessed for ever: thou hast made him exceeding glad with thy countenance.
Countenance — Smiling upon him, by thy grace and favour.
Verse 9
[9] Thou shalt make them as a fiery oven in the time of thine anger: the LORD shall swallow them up in his wrath, and the fire shall devour them.
Oven — Like wood, which when it is cast in there, is quickly consumed.
Verse 10
[10] Their fruit shalt thou destroy from the earth, and their seed from among the children of men.
Fruit — Their children. God will take away both root and branch, the parents and all that wicked race.
Verse 11
[11] For they intended evil against thee: they imagined a mischievous device, which they are not able to perform.
Thee — Against God, not directly, but by consequence, because it was against David, whom God had anointed, and against the Lord's people, whose injuries God takes as done to himself.
Verse 13
[13] Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength: so will we sing and praise thy power.
Exalted — By thy own power, or by the manifestation thereof.
22
Verse 1
[1] My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
My God — Who art my friend and father, though now thou frownest upon me. The repetition denotes, the depth of his distress, which made him cry so earnestly.
Forsaken — Withdrawn the light of thy countenance, the supports and comforts of thy spirit, and filled me with the terrors of thy wrath: this was in part verified in David, but much more fully in Christ.
Roaring — My out-cries forced from me, by my miseries.
Verse 3
[3] But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
But thou art — Just and true in all thy ways, this he adds to strengthen his faith, and to enforce his prayers, and prevail with God for the honour of his holy name, to hear and help him.
Inhabitest — Whom thy people are perpetually praising.
Verse 6
[6] But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
A worm — Neglected and despised.
People — Not only of the great men, but also of the common people. Which doth not so truly agree to David as to Christ.
Verse 7
[7] All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
Shoot out — They gape with their mouths, in mockery. This and the next verse are applied to Christ, Matthew 27:39,43.
Verse 12
[12] Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
Bulls — Wicked and violent, and potent enemies; for such are so called, Ezekiel 39:18Amos 4:1.
Of Bashan — As the cattle there bred were, and therefore fierce and furious.
Verse 14
[14] I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
Water — My spirits are spent and gone like water which once spilt can never be recovered; my very flesh is melted within me, and I am become as weak as water.
Bones — I am as unable to help myself, and as full of torment, as if all my bones were disjointed.
Wax — Melted, through fear and overwhelming grief.
Verse 15
[15] My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
Dried — I have in a manner no more moisture left in me, than is in a dry potsherd.
Cleaveth — Through excessive thirst and drought.
Death — Thy providence, delivering me into the power of mine enemies, and by thy terrors in my soul.
Verse 16
[16] For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Dogs — So he calls his enemies for their insatiable greediness, and implacable fierceness against him.
Pierced — These words cannot with any probability be applied to David, but were properly and literally verified in Christ.
Verse 17
[17] I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
May tell — By my being stretched out upon the cross.
Verse 18
[18] They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
They part — This also cannot be applied to David, but was literally fulfilled in Christ, Matthew 27:35John 19:24.
Verse 20
[20] Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
Darling — Heb. my only one; his soul, which he so calls, because it was left alone and destitute of friends and helpers.
Verse 21
[21] Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
Heard — Answered and delivered me.
Verse 22
[22] I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
Declare — When thou hast delivered me.
Thy name — that power and faithfulness and goodness, which thou hast manifested on my behalf.
Congregations — The same whom he calls the congregation, and the seed of Jacob and Israel: which also does not so fitly agree to David, who never gives this title to any, but such as were near a-kin to him, as it does to Christ, who extends this name to all his disciples, Matthew 12:48,49, and to whom this very text is applied, Hebrews 2:11,12.
Verse 24
[24] For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
Abhorred — He did not turn away his face from it, as men do from things which they abhor.
From him — For ever: tho' he did so for a time.
Verse 25
[25] My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
Great congregation — In the universal church, of Jews and Gentiles.
Verse 26
[26] The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
Satisfied — This is doubtless to be understood, of those spiritual blessings, that grace and peace, and comfort, which all believing souls have in the sense of God's love, the pardon of their sins, and the influences of God's spirit.
Seek him — That seek his favour.
Your heart — He speaks of the same persons still, though there be a change from the third to the second person, as is usual in these poetical books.
For ever — Your comfort shall not be short and transitory, as worldly comforts are, but everlasting.
Verse 27
[27] All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
The world — All nations from one end of the world to the other. So this is an evident prophecy of the calling of the Gentiles, and a clear proof, that this psalm immediately speaks of Christ; to whom alone, this and divers other passages of it, belong.
Remember — They shall remember their former wickedness with grief and shame, and fear; particularly in worshiping dead and impotent idols. They shall remember their great and manifold obligation to God, which they had quite forgotten, his patience in sparing them so long, in the midst of all their impieties, and in giving his son for them: they shall remember the gracious words and glorious works of Christ, what he did, and suffered for them; which possibly divers of them had been eye and ear-witnesses of.
The Lord — Into the only true God, and unto Jesus Christ, to whom this name of Jehovah is often ascribed in scripture.
Verse 28
[28] For the kingdom is the LORD's: and he is the governor among the nations.
For — This is added as a reason, why the Gentiles should be converted, because God is not only God and the Lord of the Jews, but also of the Gentiles, and of all nations.
Verse 29
[29] All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
Fat — Kings and princes, and the great men of the world.
Shall eat — Shall feed upon the bread of life, Christ and all his benefits.
Worship — This is added to shew what kind of eating he spoke of.
Go down — That is, all mankind, for none can escape death.
Verse 30
[30] A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.
A seed — Christ shall not want a seed or posterity, for though the Jewish nation will generally reject him, the Gentiles shall come in their stead.
A generation — That believing seed shall be reputed both by God and men, The generation, or people of the Lord, as the Jews formerly were.
Verse 31
[31] They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.
They — The seed last mentioned.
Come — From Judea and Jerusalem (from whence the gospel was first to go forth) to the Gentile world, to the several parts whereof the apostles went upon this errand.
His — God's righteousness: his wonderful grace and mercy unto mankind, in giving them Christ and the gospel; for righteousness is often put for mercy or kindness.
Unto — Unto succeeding generations. Whereby David gives us a key to understand this psalm, and teaches us that he speaks not here of himself, but of things which were to be done in after-ages, even of the spreading of the gospel among the Gentiles, in the time of the New Testament.
That he — They shall declare that this is the work of God, and not of man.
Hebrews 9:11-14
Verse 11 
[11] But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; 
An high priest of good things to come — Described, Hebrews 9:15. Entered through a greater, that is, a more noble, and perfect tabernacle - Namely, his own body. 
Not of this creation — Not framed by man, as that tabernacle was. 
Verse 12 
[12] Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 
The holy place — Heaven.
For us — All that believe. 
Verse 13
[13] For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 
If the ashes of an heifer — Consumed by fire as a sin-offering, being sprinkled on them who were legally unclean.
Purified the flesh — Removed that legal uncleanness, and re-admitted them to the temple and the congregation. Numbers 19:17,18,19
Verse 14 
[14] How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
How much more shall the blood of Christ. — The merit of all his sufferings. 
Who through the eternal Spirit — The work of redemption being the work of the whole Trinity. Neither is the Second Person alone concerned even in the amazing condescension that was needful to complete it. The Father delivers up the kingdom to the Son; and the Holy Ghost becomes the gift of the Messiah, being, as it were, sent according to his good pleasure. 
Offered himself — Infinitely more precious than any created victim, and that without spot to God. 
Purge our conscience — Our inmost soul. 
From dead works — From all the inward and outward works of the devil, which spring from spiritual death in the soul, and lead to death everlasting.
To serve the living God — In the life of faith, in perfect love and spotless holiness. 
Mark 12:28-34 
Verse 28 
[28] And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 
Which is the first commandment? — The principal, and most necessary to be observed. Matthew 22:34Luke 10:25
Verse 29
[29] And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
The Lord our God is one Lord — This is the foundation of the first commandment, yea, of all the commandments. The Lord our God, the Lord, the God of all men, is one God, essentially, though three persons. From this unity of God it follows, that we owe all our love to him alone. Deuteronomy 6:4
Verse 30 
[30] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
With all thy strength — That is, the whole strength and capacity of thy understanding, will, and affections. 
Verse 31
[31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. 
The second is like unto it — Of a like comprehensive nature: comprising our whole duty to man. There is no other moral, much less ceremonial commandment, greater than these. Leviticus 19:18
Verse 33 
[33] And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. 
To love him with all the heart — To love and serve him, with all the united powers of the soul in their utmost vigour; and to love his neighbour as himself - To maintain the same equitable and charitable temper and behaviour toward all men, as we, in like circumstances, would wish for from them toward ourselves, is a more necessary and important duty, than the offering the most noble and costly sacrifices. 
Verse 34 
[34] And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question. Jesus said to him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God — Reader, art not thou? then go on: be a real Christian: else it had been better for thee to have been afar off.(John Wesley's Explanatory Notes).

The Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2018
PO Box 340004
Nashville, Tennessee 37203-0004, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment