Monday, September 25, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 26 September 2017 - Psalm 25: 1-9


The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 26 September 2017 -
Psalm 25: 1-9
-------
Psalm 25:
1
 (0) By David:
(1) I lift my inner being to you, Adonai;
2 I trust you, my God.
Don’t let me be disgraced,
don’t let my enemies gloat over me.
3 No one waiting for you will be disgraced;
disgrace awaits those who break faith for no reason.
4 Make me know your ways, Adonai,
teach me your paths.
5 Guide me in your truth, and teach me;
for you are the God who saves me,
my hope is in you all day long.
6 Remember your compassion and grace, Adonai;
for these are ages old.
7 Don’t remember my youthful sins or transgressions;
but remember me according to your grace
for the sake of your goodness, Adonai.
8 Adonai is good, and he is fair;
this is why he teaches sinners the way [to live],
9 leads the humble to do what is right
and teaches the humble [to live] his way.
(Complete Jewish Bible)
-------
The opening lines of this psalm always remind me of a song I learned at Flathead Lutheran Bible Camp here in Montana. They might remind you too of hearts filled with joy, clapping and dancing around a campfire. "To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul (clap clap); in You I trust, O Lord!"
But from the rest of the psalm it's clear that Psalm 25 is not so much a psalm of praise as one of pleading for God's help, asking to be taught God's ways. "Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, and teach me."
As I've thought, however, maybe singing and praise are the perfect place to start when we are in need of God's help. Lifting up our arms is an ancient posture of prayer, reminding us of our dependence on God. Trust is the necessary beginning point for being able to be taught and lead. Like campers following a counselor on a new trail, may we know the joy and wonder of being guided by the Spirit on paths that lead to new life.
To you, O Lord, we lift up our souls and our lives. Teach us. Change us. Lead us, so we may walk in your ways and be the people you want us to be. Amen.
Sandy Van Zyl, '88
ELCA Pastor serving United Congregational Church (UCC)
Butte, Mont.
Psalm 25:
1 To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, in you I trust; do not let me be put to shame; do not let my enemies exult over me.
3 Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame; let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.
4 Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.
5 Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long.
6 Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love, for they have been from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for your goodness' sake, O Lord!
8 Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
9 He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. 
(New Revised Standard Version)
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
Telephone: (651)641-3456-
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment