Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "od Pause Daily Devotion" for Thursday, 30 April 2015 - Scripture: John 15:1-8

The Lutheran Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States "od Pause Daily Devotion" for Thursday, 30 April 2015 - Scripture: John 15:1 “I am the real vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 Every branch which is part of me but fails to bear fruit, he cuts off; and every branch that does bear fruit, he prunes, so that it may bear more fruit. 3 Right now, because of the word which I have spoken to you, you are pruned. 4 Stay united with me, as I will with you — for just as the branch can’t put forth fruit by itself apart from the vine, so you can’t bear fruit apart from me.
5 “I am the vine and you are the branches. Those who stay united with me, and I with them, are the ones who bear much fruit; because apart from me you can’t do a thing. 6 Unless a person remains united with me, he is thrown away like a branch and dries up. Such branches are gathered and thrown into the fire, where they are burned up.
7 “If you remain united with me, and my words with you, then ask whatever you want, and it will happen for you. 8 This is how my Father is glorified — in your bearing much fruit; this is how you will prove to be my talmidim.[Complete Jewish Bible]
When Jesus says, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower," it becomes clear that they are in a united relationship. God has become united in the One who is both divine and human for John. What becomes even more astonishing is that the branches, we who have been reconciled to God in him, are also now part of that unity.
Most of us are much more comfortable with God being totally "up there," with Jesus being half up there, and us being totally down here. Yet John makes the astounding claim that in Christ, God and humanity are united. In Jesus' prayer he speaks openly of the unity He has with God and with His disciples. He says that His oneness with God makes our unity with God a reality. John says that when we can see and trust this union of God, Jesus and Jesus' followers, than we have been given totally new sight for living.
Christ Jesus, come in your Spirit and help us see the world as you see it. May our new sight give us the ability to love ourselves and all of your creation. Amen.
Franklin Lee
Pastor, Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Naples, Fla.
Doctorate of Ministry , 1965
John 15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower.
2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit.
3 You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you.
4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.
6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.[New Revised Sandard Version
___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment