Thursday, April 30, 2015

Today's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotion "Strength and Weakness" for Thursday, 30 April 2015 - Scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:6-10

issue cover
Today's Devotional: The Upper Room Daily Devotion "Strength and Weakness" for Thursday, 30 April 2015 - Scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:6 If I did want to boast, I would not be foolish; because I would be speaking the truth. But, because of the extraordinary greatness of the revelations, I refrain, so that no one will think more of me than what my words or deeds may warrant. 7 Therefore, to keep me from becoming overly proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from the Adversary to pound away at me, so that I wouldn’t grow conceited. 8 Three times I begged the Lord to take this thing away from me; 9 but he told me, “My grace is enough for you, for my power is brought to perfection in weakness.” Therefore, I am very happy to boast about my weaknesses, in order that the Messiah’s power will rest upon me. 10 Yes, I am well pleased with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and difficulties endured on behalf of the Messiah; for it is when I am weak that I am strong.
The Lord said to Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.”[2 Corinthians 12:9 (NRSV)]
When I found out I had Type 1 diabetes, my life changed forever. I was scared; but in time I became more connected with my family, friends, and God. I found out that when I’m weak, with God I can be strong.
Our pastor had asked my family to talk with the church about our experience with diabetes. I was nervous when the pastor asked us questions. I told him, “I know that God will use my diabetes for good,” but I wasn’t sure what the good would be.
I’ve had diabetes for three years now. I still get tired, and I get frustrated that I need to check my blood sugar seven or eight times a day and wear an insulin pump. But God has made me stronger; now I’m not as scared. Sometimes, I ask God why I have this disease, and I hope that one day there will be a cure.
God has used my experience for good. After my family spoke at our church, we heard about a man who had listened to the service. He had been diagnosed with diabetes and was struggling with all the changes he had to make. After he heard us, he thought, If that boy has the courage to deal with it, so do I.
Everyone has some burden to bear. Mine is diabetes. With God’s help, I’m going to do something good with it.
The Author: Chase Martin (Tennessee, USA)
Thought for the Day: How does God give me strength in my weakness?
Prayer: Thank you, dear God, for turning our weaknesses into strengths and for using our troubles for good. Amen.
Prayer focus: Children With Diabetes
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment