Saturday, June 24, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotional - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 25 June 2017 "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" (ELW 697)


The God Pause Daily Devotional - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 25 June 2017 "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" (ELW 697)
"Just a Closer Walk with Thee" (ELW 697)
Refrain:

Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
1. I am weak but thou art strong:
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I'll be satisfied as long
as I walk, let me walk close to thee.
Refrain:
Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
2. Through this world of toil and snares,
if I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but thee, dear Lord, none but thee.
Refrain:
Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
3. When my feeble life is o'er,
time for me will be no more;
guide me gently, safely o'er
to thy kingdom shore, to thy shore.
Refrain:
Just a closer walk with thee,
grant it, Jesus, is my plea;
daily walking close to thee,
let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
-------
One of my favorite activities with my husband is to go walking together. Whether it is a strenuous hike at a state park or just a stroll around the neighborhood, walks are an important part of our relationship. Walking is a time when we connect and talk. We tend to have big conversations on our walks--about dreams, goals and plans; about frustrations and disappointments. The movement of walking together helps us connect.
The hymn Just a Closer Walk with Thee imagines faith as going on a walk with God. Life goes through its ups and downs, so having God walk beside you helps you weather the difficulties and celebrate the joys. The hymn says "I'll be satisfied as long as I walk...close to thee." Faith isn't seeking perfection or expecting that life will always be happy and sunny. Faith only seeks and trusts that God will walk alongside us through whatever happens.
God, walk alongside of us through the joys and challenges of life. Thank you for being our constant companion as we journey through life. Amen.
Nissa Peterson, '16
Pastor, Chatfield Lutheran Church, Chatfield, Minn.
-------
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment