Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul Minnesota United States - God Pause for Monday, 22 January 2018 - Deuteronomy 18:15-20

The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul Minnesota United States - God Pause for Monday, 22 January 2018 - Deuteronomy 18:15-20
Deuteronomy 18:15 “Adonai will raise up for you a prophet like me from among yourselves, from your own kinsmen. You are to pay attention to him, 16 just as when you were assembled at Horev and requested Adonai your God, ‘Don’t let me hear the voice of Adonai my God any more, or let me see this great fire ever again; if I do, I will die!’ 17 On that occasion Adonai said to me, ‘They are right in what they are saying. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their kinsmen. I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I order him. 19 Whoever doesn’t listen to my words, which he will speak in my name, will have to account for himself to me.
20 “‘But if a prophet presumptuously speaks a word in my name which I didn’t order him to say, or if he speaks in the name of other gods, then that prophet must die.’(Complete Jewish Bible)
---
The people were frightened, so God stepped back. God's face and form on the mountain seemed too deadly, so God would send someone like Moses to tell God's people who they were and how to live. Because words matter.
Centuries pass. And now God declares a man named Jesus "Son" and commands the hearers, "Listen to him." But surprisingly this Jesus steps outside even the bounds of Moses and the prophets to speak and enact a new understanding of God's love for foreigners, lepers and criminals. He is killed in part  because some think he is falsely representing God--because words, especially words about God and people matter. On this day, we need to keep open to the words that God speaks to us. 
God of Truth, let your words matter most, and let our words honor you. We are your priests and prophets now: speaking the Word of Christ, enacting your out-of-bounds grace and truth. Amen.
Brenda Satrum, '93
Pastor of Faith Lutheran Church, Hamilton, Mont.
Deuteronomy 18:15 The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you shall heed such a prophet.
16 This is what you requested of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said: "If I hear the voice of the Lord my God any more, or ever again see this great fire, I will die."
17 Then the Lord replied to me: "They are right in what they have said.
18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their own people; I will put my words in the mouth of the prophet, who shall speak to them everything that I command.
19 Anyone who does not heed the words that the prophet shall speak in my name, I myself will hold accountable.
20 But any prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, or who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded the prophet to speak--that prophet shall die." (New Revised Standard Version)
---

No comments:

Post a Comment