Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Lutheran Hour Ministries of Saint Louis, Missouri, United States - Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour for Sunday, 21 January 2018 "The Fine Art of Encouragement"

The Lutheran Hour Ministries of Saint Louis, Missouri, United States - Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour for Sunday, 21 January 2018 "The Fine Art of Encouragement" 
  DONATE


Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour "The Fine Art of Encouragement" for Sunday, January 21, 2018
1 Thessalonians 5:9-11 - For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with Him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
It was only a few weeks ago that Alabama played Georgia for the national football championship. 
As you can imagine, it was an important game. The college which wins the title will find it easier to raise money, get free publicity, and recruit top-of-the-line players in the future. Students who do well in such a game will find the path to big money in the NFL has been smoothed out considerably.
Alabama's quarterback, Jalen Hurts, had managed to win an impressive 25 of the 28 games he had started. To do exceptionally well in this championship game would be icing on the cake of Hurts' college career. Unfortunately, things didn't go as he had hoped. When halftime came, Alabama was behind 13 to 0.
When the second half began, Hurts was replaced by freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. He did a spectacular job. He managed to recharge the Alabama team and, in overtime, pull off a win for that grand, old university.
But Hurts? What about him who had been replaced? How would he feel about the demotion?
The cameras kept zeroing in on him to see if his face would register some "sour grapes." They didn't. On the contrary, Hurts seemed loudest in shouting encouragement to his replacement. After the game, many of the sports reporters interviewed Hurts. They all asked questions, which gave him the opportunity to take some shots at his replacement.
Hurts refused to take those shots.
Instead of criticism, Hurts said things like "He's good for stuff like this" and "He has the 'it' factor. I'm so happy for him and so happy for the team." Now don't get me wrong Hurts is still a first-class quarterback. It's just that he's an even better man -- and an even better encourager.
From what I'm able to see, being an encourager is pretty much a dying art, and those who encourage are an endangered species. Today it is far more fashionable to disparage and to deride; it is more news worthy to complain, to criticize, to condemn, and to censure. Sadly, Christian churches and denominations are not immune from the sad and sinful habit of taking cheap shots at others.
Now understand, the administration of the law is a necessary thing. We dare not go about spreading whitewash everywhere and pretending there is no such thing as sin. Sin is real, and so is our obligation to point it out and bring people back to the forgiveness the Savior has won for us.
Yes, pointing out sin is our job, but so, as Paul points out, is encouraging and building up those who need it. And how can we tell if someone needs to be encouraged? That's easy. We do it for all and work under the assumption that if they don't need to be encouraged, they will tell us.
Now I'm not a prophet, but I think you'll have to wait a long time before you meet such a person.
THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, it's easy to point out the specks in the eyes of others. Let us, as much as we are able, help others get rid of the specks which cloud their vision and then, when the specks are gone, help them clearly see the Savior who has done all which is necessary to save us. In the Redeemer's Name we pray. Amen.
The above devotion was inspired by a number of sources, including one written by Chance Linton for 24/7 Sports on January 9, 2018. Those who wish to reference that article may do so at the following link, which was fully functional at the time this devotion was written: click here
In Christ I remain His servant and yours,
Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour
Job 32:1 So these three men stopped trying to answer Iyov, because he remained convinced of his own righteousness.
2 But then the anger of Elihu the son of Barakh’el the Buzi, from the family of Ram, blazed up against Iyov for thinking he was right and God wrong. 3 His anger also blazed up against his three friends, because they had found no answer to Iyov but condemned him anyway. 4 Elihu had waited to speak to Iyov because they were older than he; 5 however, when Elihu saw that these three had no answer, his anger flared up. 6 Elihu the son of Barakh’el the Buzi said:
“I am young, and you are old,
so I held back from telling you my opinion.
7 I said, ‘Age should speak;
an abundance of years should teach wisdom.’
8 But it is the spirit in a person, the breath from Shaddai,
that gives him understanding —
9 it isn’t [only] the great who are wise
or the aged who know how to judge.
10 Therefore, I say, listen to me;
I too will express my opinion.
11 “Here, I waited for your words,
I listened to your reasoning,
as you were searching for what to say.
12 I paid attention to you,
but none of you convicted Iyov
or refuted his arguments.
13 So don’t say, ‘We found the wise course —
Let God defeat him, not a human being.’
14 For he did not direct his words against me,
and I won’t answer him with your arguments.
15 “They are confused, they don’t reply,
words have failed them.
16 But must I wait just because they don’t speak,
just because they stand there, stuck for an answer?
17 No, I will now give my answer;
I too will express my opinion.
18 For I am full of words;
the spirit within me compels me.
19 Yes, my insides feel like new wine under pressure,
like new wineskins ready to burst.
20 I must speak, to find relief;
I will open my lips and answer.
21 I will show no favor to anyone,
and I will flatter no one;
22 I don’t know how to flatter;
if I did, my maker would soon put an end to me.
33:1 “So, Iyov, please, hear my speech;
listen to all my words.
2 Look, I am opening my mouth;
the words are on the tip of my tongue.
3 I will say exactly what is on my mind;
what my lips know, they will speak sincerely.
4 It is the Spirit of God that made me,
the breath of Shaddai that gives me life.
5 So refute me, if you can;
organize your words, take your stand!
6 Look, before God I’m the same as you;
I too am fashioned from clay.
7 You don’t need to be afraid of me;
my pressure on you will not be heavy.
8 “You spoke within my hearing,
and I heard what you said —
9 ‘I am clean, without transgression;
I am innocent, not guilty.
10 Yet [God] finds pretexts for accusing me;
he regards me as his enemy.
11 He puts my feet in the stocks
and watches wherever I go.’
12 “But in this, you are wrong; I will answer you:
God is greater than any mortal.
13 Why do you strive against him?
He will not defend his words —
14 God speaks once, even twice,
and still the hearer misses the point.
15 “In a dream, in a vision at night,
when slumber falls upon people,
as they sleep in their beds,
16 he opens people’s ears
and seals the matter with a warning,
17 to turn a person away from his action
and protect a man from pride,
18 so that he will keep himself away from the pit
and from perishing by the sword.
19 “He is also warned by pain when in bed,
when all his bones are hurting;
20 so that he detests bread
as well as richer food.
21 His flesh wastes away, till one can’t stand to look;
his bones protrude and become unsightly.
22 His soul comes close to the pit
and his life to those who bring death.
23 “If there is for him an angel,
a mediator, one among a thousand,
who can vouch for the man’s uprightness;
24 then [God] is gracious to him and says,
‘Redeem him from going down to the pit;
I have found a ransom.’
25 His flesh becomes fresher than that of a child,
he returns to the days of his youth.
26 He prays to God and is accepted by him,
so that he sees [God’s] face with joy,
and [God] repays the man for his righteousness.
27 He declares before everyone, ‘I sinned;
I perverted what was right,
and it gained me nothing.
28 [God] redeemed me from going into the pit,
and now my life sees light.’
29 God will accomplish all these things
twice, even three times, with a man,
30 to bring him back from the pit,
so that he can enjoy the light of the living.
31 “Pay attention, Iyov, listen to me;
keep quiet, and I will keep speaking.
32 If you have something to say, answer me;
speak, because I want to show that you are right.
33 If not, then listen to me;
keep quiet, and I will teach you wisdom.”
Matthew 14:1 Around that time, Herod, the regional governor, heard of the fame of Yeshua 2 and said to his attendants, “This must be Yochanan the Immerser. He has been raised from the dead; that is why these miraculous powers are at work in him.”
3 For Herod had arrested Yochanan, put him in chains and thrown him in prison because of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip; 4 since Yochanan had told Herod, “It violates the Torah for you to have her as your wife.” 5 Herod had wanted to put Yochanan to death; but he was afraid of the people, in whose eyes Yochanan was a prophet. 6 However, at Herod’s birthday celebration, Herodias’ daughter danced before the company and pleased Herod so much 7 that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. 8 Prompted by her mother, she said, “Give me here on a platter the head of Yochanan the Immerser.” 9 The king became deeply upset; but out of regard for the oaths he had sworn before his dinner guests, he ordered that her wish be granted, 10 and sent and had Yochanan beheaded in prison. 11 The head was brought on a platter to the girl, and she gave it to her mother. 12 Yochanan’s talmidim came, took the body and buried it; then they went and told Yeshua.
13 On hearing about this, Yeshua left in a boat to be by himself in the wilderness. But the people learned of it and followed him from the towns by land. 14 So when he came ashore, he saw a huge crowd; and, filled with compassion for them, he healed those of them who were sick.
15 As evening approached, the talmidim came to him and said, “This is a remote place and it’s getting late. Send the crowds away, so that they can go and buy food for themselves in the villages.” 16 But Yeshua replied, “They don’t need to go away. Give them something to eat, yourselves!” 17 “All we have with us,” they said, “is five loaves of bread and two fish.” 18 He said, “Bring them here to me.” 19 After instructing the crowds to sit down on the grass, he took the five loaves and the two fish and, looking up toward heaven, made a b’rakhah. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the talmidim, who gave them to the crowds. 20 They all ate as much as they wanted, and they took up twelve baskets full of the pieces left over. 21 Those eating numbered about five thousand men, plus women and children.
---
Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin! Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM).
CHANGE THEIR WORLD. CHANGE YOURS.
THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.
Share this email:
---

No comments:

Post a Comment