Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Word Among Us: A Catholic Devotional based on the Daily Mass Reading & Meditation for Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Word Among Us: A Catholic Devotional based on the Daily Mass Reading & Meditation for Wednesday, April 1, 2015
Meditation: Matthew 26:14 Then one of the Twelve, the one called Y’hudah from K’riot, went to the head cohanim 15 and said, “What are you willing to give me if I turn Yeshua over to you?” They counted out thirty silver coins and gave them to Y’hudah.[a] 16 From then on he looked for a good opportunity to betray him.
17 On the first day for matzah, the talmidim came to Yeshua and asked, “Where do you want us to prepare your Seder?” 18 “Go into the city, to so-and-so,” he replied, “and tell him that the Rabbi says, ‘My time is near, my talmidim and I are celebrating Pesach at your house.’” 19 The talmidim did as Yeshua directed and prepared the Seder.
20 When evening came, Yeshua reclined with the twelve talmidim; 21 and as they were eating, he said, “Yes, I tell you that one of you is going to betray me.” 22 They became terribly upset and began asking him, one after the other, “Lord, you don’t mean me, do you?” 23 He answered, “The one who dips his matzah in the dish with me is the one who will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will die just as the Tanakh says he will; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for him had he never been born!” 25 Y’hudah, the one who was betraying him, then asked, “Surely, Rabbi, you don’t mean me?” He answered, “The words are yours.”[Footnotes:
Matthew 26:15 Zechariah 11:12]
Wednesday of Holy Week
He who has dipped his hand into the dish with me is the one who will betray me. (Matthew 26:23)
What a cryptic saying! Was Jesus trying to reveal the identity of his betrayer? Or was he simply suggesting that all the apostles would betray him in some way or another? After all, each of them had dipped his hand into the dish with Jesus at some point during the meal. It was only as Judas spoke up that he was singled out.
Like the Twelve, each of us “dips into the dish” with Jesus whenever we eat his Body and drink his Blood in Communion. Like the Twelve, each of us has betrayed the Lord in some way at one time or another in our lives. And chances are we’ll do it again. Why? Because we’re only human.
This can sound depressing, but there is good news here as well: we are forgiven! Whether we have committed great sins or small ones, it doesn’t matter. The Pharisees, who were trying hard but had become inflexible, needed forgiveness just as much as notorious sinners like the prostitutes and tax collectors. And so do we. Whether we have committed murder or are simply harboring a small grudge against someone, we all need Jesus to set us free.
This is a message of great hope—not just for ourselves but for the people around us! Every one of us who comes to the table of the Lord is a forgiven sinner. The next time you are at Mass, take a look around and recognize the people gathered with you as part of your family. You are all “dipping into the dish” with Jesus. Thank the Lord that you are all covered by his mercy and love.
May this realization bring us to unity with each other as well. Jesus’ greatest desire is that all his children will become one as he and his Father are one. Let’s ask him today to teach us to be merciful as he is merciful, so that this deep longing of his might be fulfilled!
“Thank you, Lord, for your sacrifice on the cross. Please make us one in you as you and the Father are one. Give us true humility and compassion for one another as we strive together to live for you.” Amen!
Isaiah 50:4 Adonai Elohim has given me
the ability to speak as a man well taught,
so that I, with my words,
know how to sustain the weary.
Each morning he awakens my ear
to hear like those who are taught.
5 Adonai Elohim has opened my ear,
and I neither rebelled nor turned away.
6 I offered my back to those who struck me,
my cheeks to those who plucked out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from insult and spitting.
7 For Adonai Elohim will help.
This is why no insult can wound me.
This is why I have set my face like flint,
knowing I will not be put to shame.
8 My vindicator is close by;
let whoever dares to accuse me
appear with me in court!
Let whoever has a case against me step forward!
9 Look, if Adonai Elohim helps me,
who will dare to condemn me?
Here, they are all falling apart
like old, moth-eaten clothes.
Psalm 69:8 (7) For your sake I suffer insults,
shame covers my face.
9 (8) I am estranged from my brothers,
an alien to my mother’s children,
10 (9) because zeal for your house is eating me up,
and on me are falling the insults
of those insulting you.
21 (20) Insults have broken my heart
to the point that I could die.
I hoped that someone would show compassion,
but nobody did;
and that there would be comforters,
but I found none.
22 (21) They put poison in my food;
in my thirst, they gave me vinegar to drink.
31 (30) I will praise God’s name with a song
and extol him with thanksgiving.
33 (32) The afflicted will see it and rejoice;
you seeking after God, let your heart revive.
34 (33) For Adonai pays attention to the needy
and doesn’t scorn his captive people.
____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment