Monday, June 19, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotion - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 20 June 2017 - Psalm 86:1-10, 16-17

The

The God Pause Daily Devotion - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 20 June 2017 - Psalm 86:1-10, 16-17 Psalm 86:1(0) A prayer of David:
(1) Listen, Adonai, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am faithful;
save your servant,
who puts his trust in you
because you are my God.
Take pity on me, Adonai,
for I cry to you all day.
Fill your servant’s heart with joy,
for to you, Adonai, I lift my heart.
Adonai, you are kind and forgiving,
full of grace toward all who call on you.
Listen, Adonai, to my prayer;
pay attention to my pleading cry.
On the day of my trouble I am calling on you,
for you will answer me.
There is none like you among the gods, Adonai;
no deeds compare with yours.
All the nations you have made
will come and bow before you, Adonai;
they will honor your name.
10 For you are great, and you do wonders;
you alone are God.
16 Turn to me, and show me your favor;
strengthen your servant, save your slave-girl’s son.
17 Give me a sign of your favor,
so that those who hate me
will see it and be ashamed,
because you, Adonai,
have helped and comforted me. [Complete Jewish Bible] 
-------I am the parent of a toddler. We are just entering the phase of life when he wants to do everything by himself, even if the task is beyond his growing abilities. This desire to do everything on our own is something that many of us never outgrow. Our insistence on being independent can mean we feel like a failure when we can't do everything on our own. It can make us feel isolated, like we can't ask for help.
The psalmist teaches us here how to ask God for help. The psalmist gives us the words we need to ask God for help when everything seems so awful. We need humility to acknowledge our need for help and God's ability to give that help. Just like I am always near my son to help him with the things he can't do alone, God is beside us to lift us up when life gets too hard. We are supported by God and the communities that surround us, because life is too hard to go it alone.
Powerful God, thank you for walking beside us in life. Help us to rely on you and on our community to get through life’s difficulties. Amen.
Nissa Peterson, '16
Pastor, Chatfield Lutheran Church, Chatfield, Minn.
Psalm 86:
1 Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.
2 Preserve my life, for I am devoted to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God;
3 be gracious to me, O Lord, for to you do I cry all day long.
4 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you.
6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer; listen to my cry of supplication.
7 In the day of my trouble I call on you, for you will answer me.
8 There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours.
9 All the nations you have made shall come and bow down before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name.
10 For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God...
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me; give your strength to your servant; save the child of your serving girl.
17 Show me a sign of your favor, so that those who hate me may see it and be put to shame, because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.
[New Revised Standard Version]Connect with Luther:
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
Telephone: 651-641-3456

No comments:

Post a Comment