Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional in Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Sunday, 25 June 2017 "A Safe Place" Read Psalm 91:1-4

The Upper Room Daily Devotional in Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Sunday, 25 June 2017 "A Safe Place" Read Psalm 91:1-4
-------
Psalm 91:1 You who live in the shelter of ‘Elyon,
who spend your nights in the shadow of Shaddai,
2 who say to Adonai, “My refuge! My fortress!
My God, in whom I trust!” —
3 he will rescue you from the trap of the hunter
and from the plague of calamities;
4 he will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his truth is a shield and protection.
-------
The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [Philippians 4:7 (NRSV)]When I was a young girl, at times I found my home to be a frightening place because my mother was an alcoholic. I often sought refuge outside in the large lilac bushes that grew behind our house. Their dense leaf-covered branches stretched high before bending over toward the ground. At the base of the bushes, among their trunks and shoots, was a small open space where I could hide. My hiding place was dark, but I could see the bright sunlight through the branches. Yet no one could see me. Beneath the lilac bushes was my safe place, where l felt protected.
As an adult, I sometimes find the world to be a frightening place. The news is full of terrible tragedies: earthquakes, floods, fires, epidemics, terrorist acts, senseless killings, financial collapses. However, I no longer need to find a physical hiding place where I can somehow escape from the world. Through Jesus Christ, I’ve been blessed with the “peace of God, which surpasses all understanding.”
Jesus assured us that he will be with us no matter where we are or what we experience. Christ loves us. Christ is our safe place.
The Author: Marilou Reed (Florida, USA)
Thought for the Day: True peace comes from God.
Prayer: Dear Lord, when the problems and trials of the world overwhelm us, remind us of your faithfulness. Help us to trust you. Amen.
Prayer focus:
Families affected by alcoholism

No comments:

Post a Comment