Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Daily Devotional from The Upper Room in Nashville Tennessee United States for Wednesday, 17 January 2018 "The Gift of a Bible" by Kristi Woods (Oklahoma) - Psalm 119:105-112


Daily Devotional
The Daily Devotional from The Upper Room in Nashville Tennessee United States for Wednesday, 17 January 2018 "The Gift of a Bible" by Kristi Woods (Oklahoma) Psalm 119:105-112
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. (Psalm 119:105 (NIV))
My hand reached for the gift as everyone in the congregation watched. I pulled the brown book toward me, admiring its big, gold lettering. HOLY BIBLE was stamped across the front. At the time I didn’t realize how precious the gift was.
A few years later, that same brown Bible was snuggled under my arm as I walked into a small country church. Each Sunday as I read from that Bible, my faith and God’s word became real.
It’s so easy to leave our Bible closed and untouched. But the Bible is personal, a lamp for our path today and for the future. Reading the Bible offers guidance in any stage of life. It encourages us to forgive, to find hope, and to love well.
My graduation gift from a thoughtful congregation has served me well for nearly 30 years. Its pages — some of them now taped due to years of use — contain many handwritten notes of insight and guidance. Its words have provided powerful wisdom to lead me through these 30 years. God’s word is truly a lamp for life’s path, a gift given to each of us.
***
TODAY'S PRAYER:
Dear God, thank you for the Bible and your guidance through it. May its words become an even brighter lamp, guiding us every day. Amen.
***
TODAY'S READING: Psalm 119:105-112
Psalm 119:נ (Nun)
105 Your word is a lamp for my foot
and light on my path.
106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
that I will observe your righteous rulings.
107 I am very much distressed;
Adonai, give me life, in keeping with your word.
108 Please accept my mouth’s voluntary offerings, Adonai;
and teach me your rulings.
109 I am continually taking my life in my hands,
yet I haven’t forgotten your Torah.
110 The wicked have set a trap for me,
yet I haven’t strayed from your precepts.
111 I take your instruction as a permanent heritage,
because it is the joy of my heart.
112 I have resolved to obey your laws
forever, at every step.
***
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
I will seek guidance from the Bible today.
***
PRAYER FOCUS:
Students graduating this year
***
READ MORE:

More from Kristi Woods
The brown-colored Bible mentioned in today’s devotional remained closed for a few years after high school. I held the Lord at arm’s length during college days into my young adult years. But one day in my mid-twenties, faith’s fire ignited. That’s when that beautiful gift, the Bible, began planting seeds.
I opened it – really opened it – for the first time while living in Newnan, Georgia. That’s where I found the Lord. God's word came alive and began guiding me. One time in particular the pages flipped open to 1 Corinthians 1:10-17. Little did I know its wisdom would be needed just a few hours later. I stand in awe to this day of the power of God and scripture to guide me in what could have been a tumultuous situation.
The Bible became my sword in many ways, especially during the multitude of moves my family and I faced during our days as a military family. Philippians 4:6 became a lifeline for action, a truth to recall during stressful moves. I even printed it on an index card and taped it to the bathroom mirror during one move from Florida. With each look in the mirror I found myself repeating the truth, an effort to thwart my own strong self-will and temptation to worry. God’s word guided faithfully.
When my husband, Tony, retired and we and our three children moved to Oklahoma four years ago, the brown Bible and sage wisdom within its pages moved with us. However, it now sits on a shelf, often untouched and unopened. I use another Bible more frequently simply because I’m afraid that beautiful graduation gift will fall apart. But the words contained within it never will.
Now, as a Christian writer, I daily meander, dig, and hold close God’s word. His truth fuels the stories and devotionals I write. To continue spreading the Bible near and far and to aid in tucking God’s Word in my own heart, I’ve even created a scripture memorization program at www.KristiWoods.net. This year readers and I are memorizing a whole Psalm. That’s exciting! Oh, the power of God’s word – what an thrilling adventure, a life-changing lamp lighting our path.
***

The Upper Room

1908 Grand Avenue

Nashville, Tennessee 37212, United States
---

No comments:

Post a Comment