Thursday, January 18, 2018

The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul Minnesota United States - God Pause for Thursday, 18 January 2018 - Mark 1:14-20

The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul Minnesota United States - God Pause for Thursday, 18 January 2018 - Mark 1:14-20
Mark 1:14 After Yochanan had been arrested, Yeshua came into the Galil proclaiming the Good News from God:
15 “The time has come,
God’s Kingdom is near!
Turn to God from your sins
and believe the Good News!”
16 As he walked beside Lake Kinneret, he saw Shim‘on and Andrew, Shim‘on’s brother, casting a net into the lake; for they were fishermen. 17 Yeshua said to them, “Come, follow me, and I will make you into fishers for men!” 18 At once they left their nets and followed him.
19 Going on a little farther, he saw Ya‘akov Ben-Zavdai and Yochanan, his brother, in their boat, repairing their nets. 20 Immediately he called them, and they left their father Zavdai in the boat with the hired men and went after Yeshua.(Complete Jewish Bible)
---
When I was a boy growing up a couple blocks away from White Bear Lake, Minnesota, I would drop everything else for the chance to go fishing, even when it meant sitting on a hard seat in our old green row boat. I suppose when fishing is one's livelihood--like for Simon, Andrew, James and John--it felt different. So when Jesus came along and said "follow me and I will make you become fishers of people" there was some appeal. Perhaps you too have wondered what went through their minds as they heard that invitation? Were they chomping at the bit and ready for a change? But the gospel writer isn't interested in their feelings, only that they responded immediately.
I've also wondered what it would take to get me to suddenly abandon my current life and follow someone on a new and unknown journey? I think I'd want a trial run, a probationary period during which both I and the one calling me could evaluate my suitability for the job. Even being retired with fewer responsibilities, what would it take to trust someone enough to follow? The question still haunts me at times and I wonder, what if... 
Lord, keep us open to whatever new thing you might call us to do. Fill us with trust to follow wherever you lead. And to recognize your leading each day. Amen.
Tim Kellgren, '71
Retired Pastor of Elim Lutheran Church, Petaluma, Calif.
Mark 1:14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God,
15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news."
16 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea--for they were fishermen.
17 And Jesus said to them, "Follow me and I will make you fish for people."
18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him.
19 As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets.
20 Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.(New Revised Standard Version)
---

No comments:

Post a Comment