Monday, January 15, 2018

The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul Minnesota United States - God Pause for Tuesday, 16 January 2018 - Psalm 62:5-12

The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul Minnesota United States - God Pause for Tuesday, 16 January 2018 - Psalm 62:5-12
Psalm 62:5 (4) They only want to shake him from his height,
they take delight in lying —
with their mouths they bless,
but inwardly they curse. (Selah)
6 (5) My soul, wait in silence for God alone,
because my hope comes from him.
7 (6) He alone is my rock and salvation,
my stronghold; I won’t be moved.
8 (7) My safety and honor rest on God.
My strong rock and refuge are in God.
9 (8) Trust in him, people, at all times;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us. (Selah)
10 (9) Ordinary folks are merely a breath
and important people a sham;
if you lay them on a balance-scale, they go up —
both together are lighter than nothing.
11 (10) Don’t put your trust in extortion,
don’t put false hopes in robbery;
even if wealth increases,
don’t set your heart on it.
12 (11) God has spoken once, I have heard it twice:
strength belongs to God.
13 (12) Also to you, Adonai, belongs grace;
for you reward all as their deeds deserve.(Complete Jewish Bible)
---
I'm writing these devotions just a few weeks after the catastrophic fires in Sonoma and Napa counties in which our community of Petaluma was largely spared from the fire but now is surrounded by overwhelming devastation. Many around us have lost jobs, schools, homes, transportation and even lives. Now they're working through the labyrinth of loss, grief, despair, displacement, insurance, assistance, planning, permitting, rebuilding, etc. So there is tension in the reading of this psalm that holds out the unique and powerful trustworthiness of God. If God is to be trusted, why am I standing here in the midst of these ashes? "Why have you forsaken me?" seems to be an acceptable question.
And yet, even in this moment of devastation the psalmist speaks: "For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is FROM God...I shall not be shaken...Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us." Where else to turn? Who else to trust? What other source of hope? What other strength? In spite of standing in the midst of the ashes, in spite of feeling forsaken, we pour out our hearts with all their pain and questions and doubts to a God who promises to hold us and restore us.
Thank you inscrutable God for letting us doubt and question and live in the tension of unfulfilled promises even as we reach out to lean on you and trust in the presence of your love and strength. Amen
Tim Kellgren, '71
Retired Pastor of Elim Lutheran Church, Petaluma, Calif. 
Psalm 62:5 For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7 On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. (Selah)
9 Those of low estate are but a breath, those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath.
10 Put no confidence in extortion, and set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God,
12 and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord. For you repay to all according to their work.(New Revised Standard Version)
---

No comments:

Post a Comment