Thursday, July 30, 2015

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States "An Encounter with the Gospel" Friday, 31 July 2015

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States "An Encounter with the Gospel" Friday, 31 July 2015 

Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the Good News about Jesus. And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?"[Acts 8:35-36]
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:
The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our International Ministry Centers to write our Friday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.
In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour
Philip's encounter with the Ethiopian in the desert is one of the most wonderful accounts in the book of the Acts of the Apostles.
Scripture is clear; it wasn't by chance Philip went to that God-appointed rendezvous. As we know, the Lord already knew what was going to happen by the Holy Spirit's power. He knew how that encounter with the court official from the queen of the Ethiopians was going to end.
I think there is a lesson for us in that. You see, every day we run into people we don't know.
Most of those times, we confine our discussion to a perfunctory, "hi" or "bye." Then, when we're done, we continue on going about our plans. Still, from the Lord's perspective, these encounters are always opportunities in which the Gospel may be shared.
May I give you an example?
Some time ago José showed up at the Lutheran Center in Santiago. Like the Ethiopian, José had read the Word of God. But he still had many doubts. He felt as if he was in the desert, spiritually thirsty and hungry, like someone who doesn't understand the love God has for us in Christ.
José knew the Scriptures, but he hadn't truly met the Savior who has conquered all that separates us from the love of God. It didn't take long for us to begin instructing José in the Word. Very soon after that his home became a place where the Bible and the Catechism were constantly being studied. By God's grace, José was brought to forgiveness, freedom and the promise of eternal life, which is ours through the shed blood of the Redeemer.
Just like the Ethiopian, José had invited us to sit in his chariot and walk along with him and his family. Just like the Ethiopian, José soon asked us if his three daughters could be baptized. There was no reason to waste any time!
Of course, many encounters don't have the same ending as did that of the Ethiopian or José. Thinking over those times, I have to conclude many of those disappointments happen because we haven't taken advantage of the opportunities God has laid before us.
When we met José, the Gospel took him to a new spiritual reality and now, together with his wife and daughters, he's an active member of the Lutheran Church and continues to be nurtured with the living waters of the Word of God.
How wonderful it is when we realize we're in God's hands and understand He's the One that brings into our lives people who need to hear the Gospel message! To that end, I would ask that you support God's ministry and pray for the lost as well as those who carry the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Let's ask God for His help in bringing those who are walking in the desert to encounter their Savior and Lord Jesus.
THE PRAYER: Loving Savior, thank You for finding us. We ask that Your Gospel may reach out to all those who are still walking through the desert. Help us stay close to You by reading and meditating each day in Your Holy Word. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
Biography of Author: Today's international devotion was authored by The Reverend Cristian E. Rautenberg, who was born in Misiones, Argentina. He has served as a missionary, and as the director of the Lutheran School of Valparaíso, as teacher of the Biblical Institute and the Concordia Seminary of Buenos Aires. In 2007 he was sent as a missionary to Santiago City, Chile, where he is currently pastor. Since 2010 he has served as the president of the Lutheran Confessional Church in Chile. Pastor Rautenberg and his wife, Ethel, have two disabled sons: Nathanael and Matthew.
Established in Buenos Aires in 1947, LHM-Argentina (known in-country as Fundacion Cristo Para Todas Las Naciones) connects with communities in many ways. This ministry center works closely with the Lutheran Church of Argentina (IELA), along with its seminary and congregations. It does this through a joint mission program. Using LHM's Equipping the Saints (ETS), Bible Correspondence Courses (BCC), Project JOEL(a youth outreach program), print media, radio broadcasts, text messaging, and the Internet, it shares the Gospel and empowers believers in this South American country of 42 million people. This ministry center also works closely with IELA and its seminary and congregations via a joint mission program.
Check out how an ETS workshop led by Pastor Leandro Hubner from Concordia Seminary in Argentina connected with the people of Viale, Argentina. You can do so by clicking here and reading LHM-Argentina's latest blog post.
To learn more about our International Ministries, click here or visit www.lhm.org/international.
In Christ I remain His servant and yours,

Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour®
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Through the Bible in a Year
Today Read:
Psalms 116:1 I love that Adonai heard
my voice when I prayed;
2 because he turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.
3 The cords of death were all around me,
Sh’ol’s constrictions held me fast;
I was finding only distress and anguish.
4 But I called on the name of Adonai:
“Please, Adonai! Save me!”
5 Adonai is merciful and righteous;
yes, our God is compassionate.
6 Adonai preserves the thoughtless;
when I was brought low, he saved me.
7 My soul, return to your rest!
For Adonai has been generous toward you.
8 Yes, you have rescued me from death,
my eyes from tears and my feet from falling.
9 I will go on walking in the presence of Adonai
in the lands of the living.
10 I will keep on trusting even when I say,
“I am utterly miserable,”
11 even when, in my panic, I declare,
“Everything human is deceptive.”
12 How can I repay Adonai
for all his generous dealings with me?
13 I will raise the cup of salvation
and call on the name of Adonai.
14 I will pay my vows to Adonai
in the presence of all his people.
15 From Adonai’s point of view,
the death of those faithful to him is costly.
16 Oh, Adonai! I am your slave;
I am your slave, the son of your slave-girl;
you have removed my fetters.
17 I will offer a sacrifice of thanks to you
    and will call on the name of Adonai.
18 I will pay my vows to Adonai
in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courtyards of Adonai’s house,
there in your very heart, Yerushalayim.
Halleluyah!
117:1 Praise Adonai, all you nations!
Worship him, all you peoples!
2 For his grace has overcome us,
and Adonai’s truth continues forever.
Halleluyah!
118:1 Give thanks to Adonai; for he is good,
for his grace continues forever.
2 Now let Isra’el say,
“His grace continues forever.”
3 Now let the house of Aharon say,
“His grace continues forever.”
4 Now let those who fear Adonai say,
“His grace continues forever.”
5 From my being hemmed in I called on Yah;
he answered and gave me more room.
6 With Adonai on my side, I fear nothing —
what can human beings do to me?
7 With Adonai on my side as my help,
I will look with triumph at those who hate me.
8 It is better to take refuge in Adonai
than to trust in human beings;
9 better to take refuge in Adonai
than to put one’s trust in princes.
10 The nations all surrounded me;
in the name of Adonai I cut them down.
11 They surrounded me on every side
in the name of Adonai I cut them down.
12 They surrounded me like bees
but were extinguished [as quickly] as a fire in thorns;
in the name of Adonai I cut them down.
13 You pushed me hard to make me fall,
but Adonai helped me.
14 Yah is my strength and my song,
and he has become my salvation.
15 The sound of rejoicing and victory
is heard in the tents of the righteous:
“Adonai’s right hand struck powerfully!
16 Adonai’s right hand is raised in triumph!
Adonai’s right hand struck powerfully!”
17 I will not die; no, I will live
and proclaim the great deeds of Yah!
18 Yah disciplined me severely,
but did not hand me over to death.
19 Open the gates of righteousness for me;
I will enter them and thank Yah.
20 This is the gate of Adonai;
the righteous can enter it.
21 I am thanking you because you answered me;
you became my salvation.
22 The very rock that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone!
23 This has come from Adonai,
and in our eyes it is amazing.
24 This is the day Adonai has made,
a day for us to rejoice and be glad.
25 Please, Adonai! Save us!
Please, Adonai! Rescue us!
26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of Adonai.
We bless you from the house of Adonai.
27 Adonai is God, and he gives us light.
Join in the pilgrim festival with branches
all the way to the horns of the altar.
28 You are my God, and I thank you.
You are my God; I exalt you.
29 Give thanks to Adonai; for he is good,
for his grace continues forever.
1 Thessalonians 4:1 Therefore, brothers, just as you learned from us how you had to live in order to please God, and just as you are living this way now, we ask you — indeed, united with the Lord Yeshua, we urge you — to keep doing so more and more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you on the authority of the Lord Yeshua. 3 What God wants is that you be holy, that you keep away from sexual immorality, 4 that each of you know how to manage his sexual impulses in a holy and honorable manner, 5 without giving in to lustful desires, like the pagans who don’t know God. 6 No one should wrong his brother in this matter or take advantage of him, because the Lord punishes all who do such things — as we have explained to you before at length. 7 For God did not call us to live an unclean life but a holy one. 8 Therefore, whoever rejects this teaching is rejecting not a man but God, indeed, the One who gives you the Ruach HaKodesh, which is his.
9 Concerning love for the brothers we do not need to write you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other; 10 and you do love all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do it even more.
11 Also, make it your ambition to live quietly, to mind your own business and to earn your living by your own efforts — just as we told you. 12 Then your daily life will gain the respect of outsiders, and you will not be dependent on anyone.
13 Now, brothers, we want you to know the truth about those who have died; otherwise, you might become sad the way other people 14 do who have nothing to hope for. For since we believe that Yeshua died and rose again, we also believe that in the same way God, through Yeshua, will take with him those who have died. 15 When we say this, we base it on the Lord’s own word: we who remain alive when the Lord comes will certainly not take precedence over those who have died. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a rousing cry, with a call from one of the ruling angels, and with God’s shofar; those who died united with the Messiah will be the first to rise; 17 then we who are left still alive will be caught up with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and thus we will always be with the Lord. 18 So encourage each other with these words.
____________________________
The Lutheran Hour
660 Mason Ridge Center Drive
St. Louis, Missouri 63141 United States
1-800-876-9880
www.lhm.org
_____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment