Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Lutheran Hour Ministries in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States Daily Devotion by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour - Wednesday, May 31, 2017 "Changed by the Christ"

The Lutheran Hour Ministries in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States Daily Devotion by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour - Wednesday, May 31, 2017 "Changed by the Christ"

I have more friends on Facebook than does my wife Pam.
I have more friends on Facebook than does my wife Pam.
 
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Donate
Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour
"Changed by the Christ"
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Colossians 1:21-22 - And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, He has now reconciled in His body of flesh by His death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before Him.
I have more friends on Facebook than does my wife Pam.
Now in some homes that might cause a problem. That trouble would begin if I went skipping around the house singing, "I've got more Facebook friends than you do."
My taunts would lose steam if Pam were to reply, "That's true, dear, and I can think of two reasons why that might be:
1. "First, I don't have a Facebook page."
2. "Second, you wouldn't know half of your 'friends' if you met them on the street."
Although it's shocking to some, Pam gets along just fine without a Facebook page or presence.
She's a rarity. Far more common are the folks who judge the success of their lives on the number and quality of Facebook friends they have. You know how it works: while a big total number of friends is important, having your share of successful people, wealthy people, well-known people, A-list people, all give you extra status. And a lack of such noteworthy individuals takes points off your status.
So, what is a person to do if he doesn't know someone who is rich, famous, and good-looking?
Simple, you go to Japan and contact a company called Real Appeal. When you arrive the company will place a catalogue n front of you. In that catalogue are all kinds of people who are attractive or give the appearance of wealth. You pick a photo and make an appointment with that individual. At the agreed-on time, the both of you will show up at the Real Appeal studios, and a photographer will spend two hours taking pictures of the two of you -- photos suitable for Facebook, photos that will make you look good, photos that will soon have other folks admiring you and inviting you to spend time with them.
The $70 it costs to get these pictures is a small price to pay to make you look good to your family and neighbors.
Unfortunately, there is no cheap shortcut that will make you look good to the Lord. There are a number of reasons for that. Not the least of those reasons is that while other people in your life may overlook some of your flaws and shortcomings, the Lord does not. Oh, don't get me wrong. The Triune God doesn't care if you are a snappy dresser, and He doesn't give a hoot if you can hobnob equally well with the Obamas and the Trumps.
The only question the Lord asks is this: "Are you perfect?" If the answer is "No," then you can't make it onto the Lord's list of friends. And that, Daly Devotioner is bad news for us all. It's bad news because all of us have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (see Romans
3:23).
So, are we destined to remain spiritual outcasts? -- sinful souls rejected for all eternity? Not at all. So your eternity might be changed, the Heavenly Father sent His Son into this world to be one of us. So we might be forgiven, saved, and made a member of God's family, Jesus came and did everything for us we couldn't do. And now, with Holy Spirit-given faith, we are forgiven and accepted by the Lord.
THE PRAYER: My dear Lord, I give thanks for Jesus who singlehandedly has changed me and my eternity. May I share this change with others. In Jesus' Name I ask it. Amen.

The above devotion was inspired by a number of sources, including one written by Pammy Lin for Weird Asia News. Those who wish to reference that article may do so at the following link, which was fully functional at the time this devotion was written. Please click here
In Christ I remain His servant and yours,
Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Today's Bible in a Year Reading: Psalms 36-38; John 12:1-26
Print this Devotion
Subscribe to this Podcast
Psalms 36:1 (0) For the leader. By David, the servant of Adonai:
(1) Crime speaks to the wicked.
I perceive this in my heart;
before his eyes there is no fear
of God.
(2) For, the way he sees it,
crime makes his life easy —
that is, until his wrongs are discovered;
then, he is hated.
(3) His words are wrong and deceitful;
he has stopped being wise and doing good.
(4) He devises trouble as he lies in bed;
so set is he on his own bad way
that he doesn’t hate evil.
(5) Adonai, in the heavens is your grace;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
(6) Your righteousness is like the mountains of God,
your judgments are like the great deep.
You save man and beast, Adonai.
(7) How precious, God, is your grace!
People take refuge in the shadow of your wings,
(8) they feast on the rich bounty of your house,
and you have them drink from the stream of your delights.
10 (9) For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.
11 (10) Continue your grace to those who know you
and your righteousness to the upright in heart.
12 (11) Don’t let the foot of the proud tread on me
or the hands of the wicked drive me away.
13 (12) There they lie fallen, those evildoers,
flung down and unable to rise.
37:(0) By David:
(1) Don’t be upset by evildoers
or envious of those who do wrong,
for soon they will wither like grass
and fade like the green in the fields.
Trust in Adonai, and do good;
settle in the land, and feed on faithfulness.
Then you will delight yourself in Adonai,
and he will give you your heart’s desire.
Commit your way to Adonai;
trust in him, and he will act.
He will make your vindication shine forth like light,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before Adonai;
wait patiently till he comes.
Don’t be upset by those whose way
succeeds because of their wicked plans.
Stop being angry, put aside rage,
and don’t be upset — it leads to evil.
For evildoers will be cut off,
but those hoping in Adonai will inherit the land.
10 Soon the wicked will be no more;
you will look for his place, and he won’t be there.
11 But the meek will inherit the land
and delight themselves in abundant peace.
12 The wicked plots against the righteous
and grinds his teeth at him;
13 but Adonai laughs at the wicked,
knowing his day will come.
14 The wicked have unsheathed their swords,
they have strung their bows
to bring down the poor and needy,
to slaughter those whose way is upright.
15 But their swords will pierce their own hearts,
and their bows will be broken.
16 Better the little that the righteous has
than the wealth of all the wicked.
17 For the arms of the wicked will be broken,
but Adonai upholds the righteous.
18 Adonai knows what the wholehearted suffer,
but their inheritance lasts forever.
19 They will not be distressed when times are hard;
when famine comes, they will have plenty.
20 For the wicked will perish;
Adonai’s enemies will be like sheep fat,
ending up as smoke, finished.
21 The wicked borrows and doesn’t repay,
but the righteous is generous and gives.
22 For those blessed by [Adonai] will inherit the land,
but those cursed by him will be cut off.
23 Adonai directs a person’s steps,
and he delights in his way.
24 He may stumble, but he won’t fall headlong,
for Adonai holds him by the hand.
25 I have been young; now I am old;
yet not once have I seen the righteous abandoned
or his descendants begging for bread.
26 All day long he is generous and lends,
and his descendants are blessed.
27 If you turn from evil and do good,
you will live safely forever.
28 For Adonai loves justice
and will not abandon his faithful;
they are preserved forever.
But the descendants of the wicked will be cut off.
29 The righteous will inherit the land
and live in it forever.
30 The mouth of the righteous articulates wisdom,
his tongue speaks justice.
31 The Torah of his God is in his heart;
his footsteps do not falter.
32 The wicked keeps his eye on the righteous,
seeking a chance to kill him.
33 But Adonai will not leave him in his power
or let him be condemned when judged.
34 Put your hope in Adonai, keep to his way,
and he will raise you up to inherit the land.
When the wicked are cut off, you will see it.
35 I have seen a wicked man wielding great power,
flourishing like a shade tree in its native soil.
36 But I passed by again, and he was no longer there;
I looked for him, but he could not be found.
37 Observe the pure person, consider the upright;
for the peaceful person will have posterity.
38 But transgressors will all be destroyed;
the posterity of the wicked will be cut off.
39 Adonai is the one who saves the righteous;
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
40 Adonai helps them and rescues them,
rescues them from the wicked and saves them;
because they take refuge in him.
38:(0) A psalm of David, serving as a reminder:
(1) Adonai, don’t rebuke me when you are angry
or discipline me when you are enraged,
(2) for your arrows penetrate me deeply,
and your hand is pressing me down.
(3) Your indignation left no part of me intact;
my sin made my whole body sick;
(4) for my iniquities loom high over my head
as a heavy burden, too heavy for me.
(5) I have stinking, festering wounds
because of my foolishness.
(6) I am bent down, prostrate completely;
I go about mourning all day long.
(7) For my insides burn with fever,
and my whole body is sick.
(8) I am numb, completely crushed;
my anguished heart makes me groan aloud.
10 (9) Adonai, all my longing is known to you;
my sighing is not hidden from you.
11 (10) My heart is throbbing, my strength is gone,
and the light in my eyes has left me.
12 (11) My friends and companions shun my disease;
even the closest keep their distance.
13 (12) Those seeking my life lay snares for me,
those seeking to harm me speak of disaster
and think up deceptions all day long.
14 (13) But I’m like a deaf man — I don’t hear it;
and, like a mute, I don’t say a word.
15 (14) Yes, I’ve become like a man who doesn’t hear
and in whose mouth are no defenses.
16 (15) For it is in you, Adonai, that I hope.
You will answer, Adonai my God.
17 (16) I said, “Don’t let them gloat over me
or boast against me when my foot slips.”
18 (17) For I am about to fall,
and my pain is always with me.
19 (18) I acknowledge my guilt,
I am anxious because of my sin.
20 (19) But my enemies are alive and well,
those who wrongfully hate me increase their numbers;
21 (20) and, since they repay good with evil,
they oppose me because I pursue good.
22 (21) Don’t abandon me, Adonai!
My God, don’t be far from me!
23 (22) Come quickly to help me,
Adonai, my salvation!
John 12:1 Six days before Pesach, Yeshua came to Beit-Anyah, where El‘azar lived, the man Yeshua had raised from the dead; so they gave a dinner there in his honor. Marta served the meal, and El‘azar was among those at the table with him. Miryam took a whole pint of pure oil of spikenard, which is very expensive, poured it on Yeshua’s feet and wiped his feet with her hair, so that the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But one of the talmidim, Y’hudah from K’riot, the one who was about to betray him, said, “This perfume is worth a year’s wages! Why wasn’t it sold and the money given to the poor?” Now he said this not out of concern for the poor, but because he was a thief — he was in charge of the common purse and used to steal from it. Yeshua said, “Leave her alone! She kept this for the day of my burial. You always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”
A large crowd of Judeans learned that he was there; and they came not only because of Yeshua, but also so that they could see El‘azar, whom he had raised from the dead. 10 The head cohanim then decided to do away with El‘azar too, 11 since it was because of him that large numbers of the Judeans were leaving their leaders and putting their trust in Yeshua.
12 The next day, the large crowd that had come for the festival heard that Yeshua was on his way into Yerushalayim. 13 They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting,
Deliver us!”[John 12:13 Psalm 118:25]
Blessed is he who comes in the name of Adonai,[John 12:13 Psalm 118:26 the King of Isra’el!”
14 After finding a donke]y colt, Yeshua mounted it, just as the Tanakh says —
15 Daughter of Tziyon, don’t be afraid!
Look! your King is coming,
sitting on a donkey’s colt.”[John 12:15 Zechariah 9:9]
16 His talmidim did not understand this at first; but after Yeshua had been glorified, then they remembered that the Tanakh said this about him, and that they had done this for him. 17 The group that had been with him when he called El‘azar out of the tomb and raised him from the dead had been telling about it. 18 It was because of this too that the crowd came out to meet him — they had heard that he had performed this miracle. 19 The P’rushim said to each other, “Look, you’re getting nowhere! Why, the whole world has gone after him!”
20 Among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greek-speaking Jews. 21 They approached Philip, the one from Beit-Tzaidah in the Galil, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Yeshua.” 22 Philip came and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Yeshua. 23 Yeshua gave them this answer: “The time has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Yes, indeed! I tell you that unless a grain of wheat that falls to the ground dies, it stays just a grain; but if it dies, it produces a big harvest. 25 He who loves his life loses it, but he who hates his life in this world will keep it safe right on into eternal life! 26 If someone is serving me, let him follow me; wherever I am, my servant will be there too. My Father will honor anyone who serves me.
-------
Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin!  Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM). 
Change Their World. Change Yours.
This Changes Everything.
Get InvolvedorDonate
Facebook Twitter YouTube Vimeo LinkedIn Amazon Smile PayPal
Share this email:

660 Mason Ridge Center Drive
Saint Louis, Missouri 63141, United S
tates
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment