Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional in Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Tuesday, 30 May 2017 " God Cares for Us" - Read James 2:14–17

issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotional in Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Tuesday, 30 May 2017 "
God Cares for Us" - Read James 2:14–17 James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone claims to have faith but has no actions to prove it? Is such “faith” able to save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food, 16 and someone says to him, “Shalom! Keep warm and eat hearty!” without giving him what he needs, what good does it do? 17 Thus, faith by itself, unaccompanied by actions, is dead.
-------
Faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. [James 2:17 (NRSV)]
During perestroika, a time of political and economic instability in the Soviet Union, many Russian people, fearing for their lives, left their birthplaces, their property, and their homes and ran to other places where they could live in safety. Our family moved from Chechnya to the Krasnodar region. We lived in a tent in extreme poverty and need. Our situation felt hopeless. God seemed to have abandoned us.
One day, the Methodist pastor visited us. He saw how hard our life was. We talked with him for a long time. I told him about our lack of money and food. I told him we were cold. At the end of our conversation, I asked the pastor to pray with me for my family and our future; but the pastor refused. “I haven’t got time to pray now,” he said and left quickly.
The pastor hurriedly went to a shop, bought some essential provisions, sorted out some warm winter children’s clothes and brought them all to us. When the children had been fed and were feeling warm again, the pastor said, “Now I am ready to pray with you and to thank God for God’s generosity. You see, God cares about you and provides for your needs.”
The Author: Tatyana Azyavina (Krasnodar, Russia)

Thought for the Day: Sometimes God answers prayers through our actions.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for remembering poor, needy, and hungry people. Help us to remember them too and to show them care and generosity. Amen.

Prayer focus: Refugees
-------
issue cover
The Upper Room Daily Devotional in Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 31 May 2017 "Complain or Contribute?" Read Philippians 2:12-18
Philippians 2:
12 So, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed when I was with you, it is even more important that you obey now when I am away from you: keep working out your deliverance with fear and trembling,[Philippians 2:12 Psalm 2:11] 13 for God is the one working among you both the willing and the working for what pleases him. 14 Do everything without kvetching or arguing, 15 so that you may be blameless and pure children of God, without defect in the midst of a twisted and perverted generation,[Philippians 2:15 Deuteronomy 32:5] among whom you shine like stars in the sky, 16 as you hold on to the Word of Life. If you do this, I will be able to boast, when the Day of the Messiah comes, that I did not run or toil for nothing. 17 Indeed, even if my lifeblood is poured out as a drink offering over the sacrifice and service of your faith, I will still be glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise, you too should be glad and rejoice with me.
-------
Let us . . . make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
- Romans 14:19 (NIV)
One Sunday morning after worship I overheard a brief conversation between two parishioners. One of the men said, “I didn’t get much out of the service. Did you?” “Not much,” the other replied. It was disconcerting to hear, though I have to admit that I have made similar complaints. Often we go to church wondering, What am I going to get out of it? But do we ask ourselves, What can I put into it?
Perhaps our experience of church can be re-energized if we complain less and spend that energy encouraging one another. One Sunday a woman whose husband was hospitalized approached me as I was entering the sanctuary. She told me excitedly that her husband had spoken to one of his nurses about his faith in Jesus Christ. After he prayed with her, she accepted Jesus as her Savior. She then shared her experience with others. Her excitement was contagious. My own spirit was lifted and I responded, “Praise the Lord!”
Her story showed me that we can contribute to the community of faith in many ways. We can compliment others for their service, volunteer when opportunities arise, give generously, seek out and help to meet the needs of others, and give assurance of our prayers.

The Author:

Wayne Greenawalt (Illinois, USA)

Thought for the Day:


How could less complaining and more caring change my faith community?

Prayer:

Dear God, forgive us for our self-centered attitudes. Show us how we can encourage others. Amen.
Prayer focus: My congregation
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment