Monday, May 29, 2017

The Lutheran Hour Ministries  in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States - Daily Devotion by Rev. Dr. Gregory Seltz, Speaker of The Lutheran Hour - Monday, May 29, 2017 "Forgive and Forget"

The Lutheran Hour Ministries  in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States - Daily Devotion by Rev. Dr. Gregory Seltz, Speaker of The Lutheran Hour - Monday, May 29, 2017 "Forgive and Forget"

It was the Rose Bowl Game on New Year's Day in 1929.
It was the Rose Bowl Game on New Year's Day in 1929.
 
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Donate
Share: EmailShare: TwitterShare: Facebook
Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Rev. Dr. Gregory Seltz, Speaker of The Lutheran Hour 
"Forgive and Forget"
Monday, May 29, 2017
1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
It was the Rose Bowl Game on New Year's Day in 1929. Georgia Tech was playing the University of California at Berkeley. A California defender, named Roy Riegels, recovered a Georgia Tech fumble, and then he turned and ran for 65 yards in the wrong direction. One of Riegels' own teammates tackled him just before he reached the wrong goal line. On the next play, Georgia Tech scored and went on to win.
From that day on, Riegels was saddled with the nickname "Wrong-way Riegels." For years afterward, whenever he was introduced, people would exclaim, "I know who you are! You are the guy who ran the wrong way in the Rose Bowl!"
Our failures may not be as conspicuous, but we have all gone the wrong way, and we all have memories that haunt us. Recollections of our sins and failures have a way of rising up and taunting us in those quiet moments or when we can't sleep at
three o'clock in the morning.
I am sure that Riegels thought many times, if only I had another chance. If only I could have that play to do over, I would do it entirely different. It was the excitement of the moment, the pressure to be noticed and to be the star, rather than keeping my head on the game and focusing on the right way to run. Sound familiar? How often aren't we tempted by the excitement of the moment or thinking only of our self rather than what is right. It is so easy to find ourselves running the wrong way. Then later we look back and say, "If I only had another chance, I would never do that again. If only I could forget."
The exciting message for us today is 
we can forget it! We can have another chance. John reminds us in our Scripture today, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
As Jesus was breathing His last breath on the cross, He spoke the words, "Father forgive them" (see Luke
23:34). He wasn't speaking only for those who were crucifying Him. He spoke those words for all sinners: for you and me. Every sin, every failure, every time we're running the wrong way, Jesus waits for us to confess our sins. He is there to forgive. The apostle Paul reminds us that "there is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus" (Romans 3:22b-24).
Just as Riegels' teammates stopped him from going the wrong way, all the way, so Jesus stops us when we go the wrong way. He picks us up, turns us around, wipes us clean with His forgiveness, and puts us back in the game. Our mistakes and failures are gone and forgotten. Jesus has paid the price by His death on the cross. Each day we are given another chance. We can begin again free of past mistakes. The amazing thing is unlike Riegels' team we will win the game in Him. As we reach the final goal line, we can shout, "Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!" (1 Corinthians
15:57).THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, by faith, my life is in Your victorious hands. For that I give You thanks and praise today and forever. Amen.
In Christ,
Rev. Dr. Gregory Seltz
Speaker of 
The Lutheran Hour
Lutheran Hour Ministries

Today's Bible in a Year Readings: Psalms 27-29; John 11:1-29

Psalms 27:1 (0) By David:
(1) Adonai is my light and salvation;
whom do I need to fear?
Adonai is the stronghold of my life;
of whom should I be afraid?
When evildoers assailed me
to devour my flesh,
my adversaries and foes,
they stumbled and fell.
If an army encamps against me,
my heart will not fear;
if war breaks out against me,
even then I will keep trusting.
Just one thing have I asked of Adonai;
only this will I seek:
to live in the house of Adonai
all the days of my life,
to see the beauty of Adonai
and visit in his temple.
For he will conceal me in his shelter
on the day of trouble,
he will hide me in the folds of his tent,
he will set me high on a rock.
Then my head will be lifted up
above my surrounding foes,
and I will offer in his tent
sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing, sing praises to Adonai.
Listen, Adonai, to my voice when I cry;
show favor to me; and answer me.
“My heart said of you, ‘Seek my face.’”
Your face, Adonai, I will seek.
Do not hide your face from me,
don’t turn your servant away in anger.
You are my help; don’t abandon me;
don’t leave me, God my savior.
10 Even though my father and mother have left me,
Adonai will care for me.
11 Teach me your way, Adonai;
lead me on a level path
because of my enemies —
12 don’t give me up to the whims of my foes;
for false witnesses have risen against me,
also those who are breathing violence.
13 If I hadn’t believed that I would see
Adonai’s goodness in the land of the living, . . .
14 Put your hope in Adonai, be strong,
and let your heart take courage!
Yes, put your hope in Adonai!
28:(0) By David:
(1) Adonai, I am calling to you;
my Rock, don’t be deaf to my cry.
For if you answer me with silence,
I will be like those who fall in a pit.
Hear the sound of my prayers
when I cry to you,
when I lift my hands
toward your holy sanctuary.
Don’t drag me off with the wicked,
with those whose deeds are evil;
they speak words of peace to their fellowmen,
but evil is in their hearts.
Pay them back for their deeds,
as befits their evil acts;
repay them for what they have done,
give them what they deserve.
For they don’t understand the deeds of Adonai
or what he has done.
He will break them down;
he will not build them up.
Blessed be Adonai,
for he heard my voice as I prayed for mercy.
Adonai is my strength and shield;
in him my heart trusted, and I have been helped.
Therefore my heart is filled with joy,
and I will sing praises to him.
Adonai is strength for [his people],
a stronghold of salvation to his anointed.
Save your people! Bless your heritage!
Shepherd them, and carry them forever!
29:(0) A psalm of David:
(1) Give Adonai his due, you who are godly;
give Adonai his due of glory and strength;
give Adonai the glory due his name;
worship Adonai in holy splendor.
The voice of Adonai is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
Adonai over rushing waters,
the voice of Adonai in power,
the voice of Adonai in splendor.
The voice of Adonai cracks the cedars;
Adonai splinters the cedars of the L’vanon
and makes the L’vanon skip like a calf,
Siryon like a young wild ox.
The voice of Adonai flashes fiery flames;
the voice of Adonai rocks the desert,
Adonai convulses the Kadesh Desert.
The voice of Adonai causes deer to give birth
and strips the forests bare —
while in his temple, all cry, “Glory!”
10 Adonai sits enthroned above the flood!
Adonai sits enthroned as king forever!
11 May Adonai give strength to his people!
May Adonai bless his people with shalom!
John 11:1 There was a man who had fallen sick. His name was El‘azar, and he came from Beit-Anyah, the village where Miryam and her sister Marta lived. (This Miryam, whose brother El‘azar had become sick, is the one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.) So the sisters sent a message to Yeshua, “Lord, the man you love is sick.” On hearing it, he said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory, so that the Son of God may receive glory through it.”
Yeshua loved Marta and her sister and El‘azar; so when he heard he was sick, first he stayed where he was two more days; then, after this, he said to the talmidim, “Let’s go back to Y’hudah.” The talmidim replied, “Rabbi! Just a short while ago the Judeans were out to stone you — and you want to go back there?” Yeshua answered, “Aren’t there twelve hours of daylight? If a person walks during daylight, he doesn’t stumble; because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if a person walks at night, he does stumble; because he has no light with him.”
11 Yeshua said these things, and afterwards he said to the talmidim, “Our friend El‘azar has gone to sleep; but I am going in order to wake him up.” 12 The talmidim said to him, “Lord, if he has gone to sleep, he will get better.” 13 Now Yeshua had used the phrase to speak about El‘azar’s death, but they thought he had been talking literally about sleep. 14 So Yeshua told them in plain language, “El‘azar has died. 15 And for your sakes, I am glad that I wasn’t there, so that you may come to trust. But let’s go to him.” 16 Then T’oma (the name means “twin”) said to his fellow talmidim, “Yes, we should go, so that we can die with him!”
17 On arrival, Yeshua found that El‘azar had already been in the tomb for four days. 18 Now Beit-Anyah was about two miles from Yerushalayim, 19 and many of the Judeans had come to Marta and Miryam in order to comfort them at the loss of their brother. 20 So when Marta heard that Yeshua was coming, she went out to meet him; but Miryam continued sitting shiv‘ah in the house.
21 Marta said to Yeshua, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 Even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.” 23 Yeshua said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Marta said, “I know that he will rise again at the Resurrection on the Last Day.” 25 Yeshua said to her, “I AM the Resurrection and the Life! Whoever puts his trust in me will live, even if he dies; 26 and everyone living and trusting in me will never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world.”
28 After saying this, she went off and secretly called Miryam, her sister: “The Rabbi is here and is calling for you.” 29 When she heard this, she jumped up and went to him.
------

The Lutheran Hour Ministries in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States - Daily Devotion by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour - Sunday, May 28, 2017 "Children and Inheritors"


A few days ago I attended a funeral of a distant relative of mine.
A few days ago I attended a funeral of a distant relative of mine.
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Donate
Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries by Pastor Ken Klaus, Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour
"Children and Inheritors"
Sunday, May 28, 2017
1 Corinthians 2:9 - But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him."
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:
The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our international ministry centers to write our Sunday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.
In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of 
The Lutheran Hour
A few days ago I attended a funeral of a distant relative of mine.
During condolences I sat next to a man who was complaining about his life and circumstances. He said to me, "Life is hard, then you die."
I looked at him and said, "You are absolutely right; life is wearisome, but this only happens when you do not have hope."
He nervously replied, "What hope? When you die you become dust and that is it. Your farewell is people drinking a cup of coffee at your funeral."
Having said that, he nervously stood up and left.
I was a little bit perplexed at his bad temper, but then I realized that to all who do not have hope, death is the final end. As believers in the Savior, we are blessed to see death as a transition from this world to the heavenly world. As Paul said, it was even better for him to leave this present world and go to the Father's house. (See 1 Corinthians 5:8.)
Of course, I am aware that all of us have difficulties during the stages of our lives.
As Christians we have two things which allow us to live joyfully as we face these challenges and difficulties. We are sure of God's love and are full of hope. Both of these stem from the fact we are God's children, "and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17a). In his first letter, Peter adds that this inheritance is incorruptible and undefiled and reserved in heaven for us. (See 1 Peter 1:4.)
Have you ever thought of that wonderful privilege we have?
We are assured that "He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?" (Romans
8:32). Christian hope is not wishful thinking or dreaming of a better life. Hope is confident expectation, a firm assurance, regarding things that are unclear and unknown.
Hope looks toward the future, but it does so rooted in the divine knowledge we have been given in the salvation we have in Jesus. Concerning our hope and our faith, we are encouraged to "give to anyone who asks an account of the hope that is in us" (1 Peter 3:15b).
As Christian believers we know we are justified by grace and have, by the Holy Spirit's working, become God's children loved by Him.
THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, thank You for adopting us as Your children and granting us the hope of eternal life. Help us show this hope to all those we meet. In Jesus Name I ask it. Amen.Biography of Author: Today's international devotion was written by Fadi E. Khairallah. Mr. Khairallah was born to a Christian family in Baabda, Lebanon. He has attended graduate courses in communications and Lutheran theology at Concordia University, Seward. He is currently preparing his thesis for his master's degree in Islamic studies. At present he serves as Director for Middle East Lutheran Ministry (MELM) in Lebanon, a position he has held since December 2001. Mr. Khairallah is married to Lara and has one baby boy. He and his family reside in Beirut, Lebanon.
Launched in 1950 in Beirut, Middle East Lutheran Ministry -- also known as LHM-Lebanon -- uses radio broadcasts to reach people in at least ten Arabic-speaking countries with the Good News. Assisting individuals in their Christian faith life in places as far away as Libya, Iraq, and Egypt, this ministry center teaches people about Jesus with its Arabic-language 
Bible Correspondence Course (BCC). Through its Equipping the Saints (ETS) workshops, lay people are trained in how to better convey God's message of hope in their everyday lives. Many of this program's participants are students and young adults who are eager to share Jesus with their families and peers. Using the internet (website, text messaging), TV programming, and other video production, God's love and hope are shared with people throughout a region torn by war and other desperate circumstances. Holistic assistance is provided to many Muslim families and Bedouin communities through vacation Bible schools and programs that deliver clothing and school supplies to children. Emergency care is also given to people such as Syrian and Iraqi families who have come to Lebanon from their countries, as they flee various conflicts in their homelands.
In Christ I remain His servant and yours,
Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour
Lutheran Hour Ministries
Today's Bible in a Year Reading: Psalms 24-26; John 10:22-42
Print this Devotion
Subscribe to this Podcast
Psalms 24:1 (0) By David. A psalm:
(1) The earth is Adonai’s, with all that is in it,
the world and those who live there;
for he set its foundations on the seas
and established it on the rivers.
Who may go up to the mountain of Adonai?
Who can stand in his holy place?
Those with clean hands and pure hearts,
who don’t make vanities the purpose of their lives
or swear oaths just to deceive.
They will receive a blessing from Adonai
and justice from God, who saves them.
Such is the character of those who seek him,
of Ya‘akov, who seeks your face. (Selah)
Lift up your heads, you gates!
Lift them up, everlasting doors,
so that the glorious king can enter!
Who is he, this glorious king?
Adonai, strong and mighty,
Adonai, mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, you gates!
Lift them up, everlasting doors,
so that the glorious king can enter!
10 Who is he, this glorious king?
Adonai-Tzva’ot —
he is the glorious king. (Selah)
25:(0) By David:
(1) I lift my inner being to you, Adonai;
I trust you, my God.
Don’t let me be disgraced,
don’t let my enemies gloat over me.
No one waiting for you will be disgraced;
disgrace awaits those who break faith for no reason.
Make me know your ways, Adonai,
teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth, and teach me;
for you are the God who saves me,
my hope is in you all day long.
Remember your compassion and grace, Adonai;
for these are ages old.
Don’t remember my youthful sins or transgressions;
but remember me according to your grace
for the sake of your goodness, Adonai.
Adonai is good, and he is fair;
this is why he teaches sinners the way [to live],
leads the humble to do what is right
and teaches the humble [to live] his way.
10 All Adonai’s paths are grace and truth
to those who keep his covenant and instructions.
11 For the sake of your name, Adonai,
forgive my wickedness, great though it is.
12 Who is the person who fears Adonai?
He will teach him the way to choose.
13 He will remain prosperous,
and his descendants will inherit the land.
14 Adonai relates intimately with those who fear him;
he makes them know his covenant.
15 My eyes are always directed toward Adonai,
for he will free my feet from the net.
16 Turn to me, and show me your favor;
for I am alone and oppressed.
17 The troubles of my heart are growing and growing;
bring me out of my distress.
18 See my affliction and suffering,
and take all my sins away.
19 Consider my enemies, how many there are
and how cruelly they hate me.
20 Protect me and rescue me;
don’t let me be disgraced,
for I take refuge in you.
21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,
because my hope is in you.
22 God! Redeem Isra’el
from all their troubles!
26:(0) By David:
(1) Vindicate me, Adonai,
for I have lived a blameless life;
unwaveringly I trust in Adonai.
Examine me, Adonai, test me,
search my mind and heart.
For your grace is there before my eyes,
and I live my life by your truth.
I have not sat with worthless folks,
I won’t consort with hypocrites,
I hate the company of evildoers,
I will not sit with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence
and walk around your altar, Adonai,
lifting my voice in thanks
and proclaiming all your wonders.
Adonai, I love the house where you live,
the place where your glory abides.
Don’t include me with sinners
or my life with the bloodthirsty.
10 In their hands are evil schemes;
their right hands are full of bribes.
11 As for me, I will live a blameless life.
Redeem me and show me favor.
12 My feet are planted on level ground;
in the assemblies I will bless Adonai.
John 10:22 Then came Hanukkah in Yerushalayim. It was winter, 23 and Yeshua was walking around inside the Temple area, in Shlomo’s Colonnade. 24 So the Judeans surrounded him and said to him, “How much longer are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us publicly!” 25 Yeshua answered them, “I have already told you, and you don’t trust me. The works I do in my Father’s name testify on my behalf, 26 but the reason you don’t trust is that you are not included among my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice, I recognize them, they follow me, 28 and I give them eternal life. They will absolutely never be destroyed, and no one will snatch them from my hands. 29 My Father, who gave them to me, is greater than all; and no one can snatch them from the Father’s hands. 30 I and the Father are one.”
31 Once again the Judeans picked up rocks in order to stone him. 32 Yeshua answered them, “You have seen me do many good deeds that reflect the Father’s power; for which one of these deeds are you stoning me?” 33 The Judeans replied, “We are not stoning you for any good deed, but for blasphemy — because you, who are only a man, are making yourself out to be God [John 10:33 Hebrew: Elohim.]”
34 Yeshua answered them, “Isn’t it written in your Torah, ‘I have said, “You people are Elohim’ ”
?[John 10:34 Psalm 82:6]
35 If he called ‘elohim’ the people to whom the word of Elohim was addressed (and the Tanakh cannot be broken), 36 then are you telling the one whom the Father set apart as holy and sent into the world, ‘You are committing blasphemy,’ just because I said, ‘I am a son of Elohim’?
37 “If I am not doing deeds that reflect my Father’s power, don’t trust me. 38 But if I am, then, even if you don’t trust me, trust the deeds; so that you may understand once and for all that the Father is united with me, and I am united with the Father.” 39 One more time they tried to arrest him, but he slipped out of their hands.
40 He went off again beyond the Yarden, where Yochanan had been immersing at first, and stayed there. 41 Many people came to him and said, “Yochanan performed no miracles, but everything Yochanan said about this man was true.” 42 And many people there put their trust in him.
-------
Use these devotions in your newsletter and bulletin!  Used by permission; all rights reserved by the Int'l LLL (LHM). 
Change Their World. Change Yours.
This Changes Everything.
Get InvolvedorDonate
Facebook Twitter YouTube Vimeo LinkedIn Amazon Smile PayPal
Share this email:

660 Mason Ridge Ctr Dr
Saint Louis , MO | 63141 US
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment