Saturday, October 21, 2017

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States Weekly Devotions: Grow Pray Study Guide - “Each person should test their own work” for Saturday, 21 October 2017

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, United States Weekly Devotions: Grow Pray Study Guide - “Each person should test their own work” for Saturday, 21 October 2017
-------
Questions in this GPS marked with Ø are particularly recommended for group discussion. Group leaders may add other discussion questions, or substitute other questions for the marked ones, at their discretion.
-------
“Each person should test their own work”
Saturday, 21 October 2017
Galatians 6:1 Brothers, suppose someone is caught doing something wrong. You who have the Spirit should set him right, but in a spirit of humility, keeping an eye on yourselves so that you won’t be tempted too. 2 Bear one another’s burdens — in this way you will be fulfilling the Torah’s true meaning, which the Messiah upholds. 3 For if anyone thinks he is something when he is really nothing, he is fooling himself. 4 So let each of you scrutinize his own actions. Then if you do find something to boast about, at least the boasting will be based on what you have actually done and not merely on a judgment that you are better than someone else; 5 for each person will carry his own load.
-------
The apostle Paul pictured lots of interdependence and interaction when he described the living Christian community to the Christians in Galatia. But even as he called them (and us) to support, and even correct, one another, one of the most common ways of reacting to others was specifically ruled out: “not compare themselves with others,” said verse 4. As we grow in the discipline of examining ourselves each day, one unhelpful answer is, “Well, I’m better than ____________________.”
Ø What inner factors tempt you to compare yourself with others? How does God’s love and grace empower you to gradually erode the negative, competitive, comparative patterns taught by a culture whose values are not the same as God’s? What steps can you take toward living into the freedom to which God invites you, basking in the light of God’s favor and approval without fearing what others will think or how your path will “stack up” against someone else’s? 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, teach me how to be happy with doing a good job without worrying about how my life and work compare with someone else’s. Remind me that you, and only you, are the master and Lord I ultimately aim to please. Amen.
Family Activity: This simple activity may help even smaller children begin forming the habit of examining their way of life. Read Matthew 7:12(Matthew 7:“Always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that sums up the teaching of the Torah and the Prophets.), the Golden Rule. Give each person in your family an index card. Have each person write, “I did or said something kind” on one side of the card. On the other side write, “I did or said something hurtful.” Ask each person to pay attention to their words and actions each day. Encourage them to place a mark on the appropriate side of the card each time they do something kind or hurtful. No one else needs to see the cards. These are for each individual and God. Each day, work towards having fewer marks on the “hurtful” side and more marks on the “kind” side. Pray for God’s help to treat others kindly.
-------
Hallie Everett
Hallie is a senior at Blue Valley North and is active in rezlife student ministries. She is also a member of the rezlife high school Serve Team, which helps lead middle school youth group.

Riding horses competitively is a big part of my life. When I started riding a horse named Winston, I learned everything about him. I learned how he reacted to everything I did, responded to every movement I made, and I became acquainted to how he felt with me in the saddle. We became a great team!
When I started riding a different horse named Henry, I expected him to react the same way that Winston did to all of my movements and commands. However, I learned that despite me doing the same things, they actually reacted quite differently. For example, when I pulled on the reins with Winston, he pulled back. When I pulled on the reins with Henry, he did not react anywhere near as strongly as Winston.
I learned that I can’t treat them as if they are the same horse and expect them to react the same way. I have to appreciate that they are different from each other and learn through their differences instead of comparing them to one another.
While people may be different from horses (unfortunately!), I also find that I compare myself to other people. I see a lot of my friends or people in school that connect with people more easily than I do, and they are more outgoing than I am. But instead of trying to be like those people, I need to recognize that God has made me a good listener, even if I am not as outgoing as those other people.
If I constantly compare myself to others, I may miss out on being the unique person God has made me to be. As Galatians 6:4 says, I need to be happy and proud of who God has made me instead of comparing myself to others.
-------
Prayer Requests – cor.org/prayer Prayers for Peace & Comfort for:
• Larry and Sharon Forbach and family on the death of their son Rick Heinitz, 10/10
• Janine McPhee and family on the death of her sister Judy Jackson, 10/10
• Christine Polo and family on the death of her husband Joe Polo, 10/6
• Loryn and Sydney Polo on the death of their father Joe Polo, 10/6
•Patsy Shipley and family on the death of her mother Mary Stockard, 10/5
• Christal Heier and family on the death of her grandmother Mary Stockard, 10/5
-------


©2017 Church of the Resurrection. All Rights Reserved.
The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, Kansas 66224, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment