Monday, October 30, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Tuesday, 31 October 2017 "My Secret Fear" by Judy Ann Eichstedt (Oklahoma) - Isaiah 41:9-10

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Tuesday, 31 October 2017 "My Secret Fear" by Judy Ann Eichstedt (Oklahoma) - Isaiah 41:9-10-------
DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2017 
The Lord said, “Do not fear, for I am with you.” (Isaiah 41:10 (NIV))
For many years I carried a secret fear that people would find out that my family and I had once been homeless. The rejection I had felt when I was homeless was very painful, and I did not want to feel that pain again. My children would beg for their school friends to come over and play. But I would refuse, explaining to them that one of the parents might have seen us while we were living in the car or remember me standing outside holding a sign that asked for food.
Fear crippled me, rendering me helpless. I wanted a normal life and friendships with other people, but I was too fearful that my secret would come out. One day in church, as I sat in the last row so I could get in and out fast and not have to talk to anyone, a man went forward to tell his story about abusing alcohol and other drugs. He told the congregation that Jesus had saved him and turned his life around.
I realized that it must have been scary for this man to tell his story, but with Jesus by his side he had the courage to do it. As I listened to him say, “I am not here alone; Jesus is with me,” my own fear seemed to melt away. Two weeks later, I told my own story to the congregation. Instead of being rejected or seeing people turn away from me, I found the love and acceptance of God’s family.
TODAY'S PRAYER:
Dear Father, thank you for always being with us, for giving us a faith stronger than any fears. Amen.
* * *
TODAY'S READING: Isaiah 41:9-10
Isaiah 41:9 I have taken you from the ends of the earth,
summoned you from its most distant parts
and said to you, ‘You are my servant’ —
I have chosen you, not rejected you.
10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you;
don’t be distressed, for I am your God.
I give you strength, I give you help,
I support you with my victorious right hand.
-------
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Faith in God can overcome all fear.
PRAYER FOCUS:
Families who are homeless
The Upper Room®
Copyright © The Upper Room 2017, All rights reserved.
Header Photo Credit: "Harvested Land," Beth Shumate. August 15, 2014. (link)
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment