Saturday, October 28, 2017

Shawnee Church of the Nazarene in Shawnee, Kansas, United States for Saturday, 28 October 2017 "Pastor Cara's Weekly Email"

Shawnee Church of the Nazarene in Shawnee, Kansas, United States for Saturday, 28 October 2017 "Pastor Cara's Weekly Email"
Greetings Shawnee Family!
My first memories of church are from Moscow First Church of the Nazarene. We moved to Moscow when I was 2 years old and my parents started Moscow First. The first location of the church was in the 1980 Summer Olympic Equestrian complex and the adjoining hotel: The Bitsa. The second location was not far away and was purchased by the Church of the Nazarene. It was on the top floor of a two story building with a grocery store on the first floor. The second floor used to have a small swimming pool and sauna room. So, some remodeling was needed. Moscow First still meets at that second location and is celebrating 25 years this Sunday! I couldn’t help but reflect back on this amazing church and the people that shaped me.
---
Dear Moscow First Church of the Nazarene,
I wish I could be with you as you celebrate your 25th Anniversary. I was thinking back to many memories from growing up with you all. Here are some of my memories.
  • I remember the smell of horses as we gathered for worship on Sunday mornings. 
  • I remember Grandma Carolyn Campbell keeping me steady as I stood on the back of the chair in front of her and swaying to the worship music. 
  • I remember witnessing my first baptism by pouring since we didn’t have a baptismal. 
  • I remember having Sunday school in a room with a model of the equestrian complex and staring at the model as we listened to Bible stories. 
  • I remember when the Azovskaya location was being remodeled. I vaguely remember the swimming pool and sauna. I remember when the walls were knocked down to make the sanctuary. I remember a guy we called, Big Alex, and that he finished off one of the walls with a big karate kick. 
  • I remember when there was a jungle gym in the old sauna room. I remember pretending to be in the Moscow circus before church started. After all, we got to church really early every Sunday and my sister and I loved it. 
  • I remember singing in Russian for worship on Sundays. 
  • I remember running the overhead projector and being given a way to serve. 
  • I remember our family prayer times together. I remember that Pastor Tanya would take the time to write down the requests we all shared and then pray over those requests. 
  • I remember receiving communion together and going to the kitchen after service for more!
  • I remember the many meals we shared together. 
  • I remember Easter Sunday morning and all of the hugs and kisses accompanied by colored eggs. Peace be with you, and also with you! 
  • I remember kneeling at the altar and praying. I remember watching as my mom was ordained at that very altar. 
I was so deeply shaped by you all. I treasure my very first memories of church. Many people look back on the Church they grew up in and are frustrated. Not me. I love you, Moscow First Church of the Nazarene. Thank you for believing in a little girl, for doing life with her, for encouraging her, praying with her, crying with her.... raising her.
I would not be who I am today without you. Thank you and Happy 25th Anniversary!!!
---
I wanted to share this with you all because I believe that Shawnee is a place that also loves, encourages, prays with, and does life with others. I’m thankful for the fact that you all are loving and welcome people who passionately seek after God’s leading. May we continue to be a place where people of all ages feel loved, welcomed, and valued as they grow in relationship with God and others. Thankful for you all!
Grace and Peace,
Pastor Cara
My older sister, Christy, and I at church in the equestrian arena on a Sunday morning. 
A group of folks from Moscow First Church of the Nazarene after the Christmas Eve service (this is still the location of Moscow First Church).
Contact:

No comments:

Post a Comment