Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 1 November 2017 "A Steward of Faith" by Kristen DiStasio (North Carolina) - Psalm 78:1-7

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 1 November 2017 "A Steward of Faith" by Kristen DiStasio (North Carolina) - Psalm 78:1-7
-------
DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2017 
[The Lord] established the law in Israel, which he commanded our ancestors to teach their children, so the next generation would know them . . . and they in turn would tell their children. (Psalm 78:5-6 (NIV))
My father’s family has many beautiful heirlooms; some date back to the 1700s. Family history and lineage were always respected and cherished by both of my dad’s parents, and they passed along this love to my father and me. I have often been told that one day I will be the trusted steward of these family treasures until the day when I will pass them down to the next generation.
Thinking about this legacy, I began to compare my duty as a caretaker of these treasured belongings to my responsibility to instill a love for God in my future children. Just as my grandparents found great joy in learning about and educating our family about their cherished belongings, as Christians we are called to joyfully nurture our relationship with God and to pass on our faith to those who come after us.
TODAY'S PRAYER:
Heavenly Father, grant us the ability to pass along the knowledge of your incredible love to future generations so that they also may know you. Amen.
* * *
TODAY'S READING: Psalm 78:1-7
Psalm 78:1 (0) A maskil of Asaf:
(1) Listen, my people, to my teaching;
turn your ears to the words from my mouth.
2 I will speak to you in parables
and explain mysteries from days of old.
3 The things which we have heard and known,
and which our fathers told us
4 we will not hide from their descendants;
we will tell the generation to come
the praises of Adonai and his strength,
the wonders that he has performed.
5 He raised up a testimony in Ya‘akov
and established a Torah in Isra’el.
He commanded our ancestors
to make this known to their children,
6 so that the next generation would know it,
the children not yet born,
who would themselves arise
and tell their own children,
7 who could then put their confidence in God,
not forgetting God’s deeds,
but obeying his mitzvot.
-------
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
How am I leaving a legacy of faith for others?
PRAYER FOCUS:
Genealogists
READ MORE:

Link2Life - November 1
NOVEMBER 1, 2017 BY KRISTEN DISTASIO (NORTH CAROLINA)
Kristen with heirloom clock
The Upper Room®
Copyright © The Upper Room 2017, All rights reserved.
Header Photo Credit: "Harvested Land," Beth Shumate. August 15, 2014. (link)
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment