Monday, October 30, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 31 October 2017 - Psalm 34:1-10, 22


The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary of Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Tuesday, 31 October 2017 - Psalm 34:1-10, 22
Psalm 34:
1 (0) By David, when he pretended to be insane before Avimelekh, who then drove him away; so he left:
2 (1) I will bless Adonai at all times;
his praise will always be in my mouth.
3 (2) When I boast, it will be about Adonai;
the humble will hear of it and be glad.
4 (3) Proclaim with me the greatness of Adonai;
let us exalt his name together.
5 (4) I sought Adonai, and he answered me;
he rescued me from everything I feared.
6 (5) They looked to him and grew radiant;
their faces will never blush for shame.
7 (6) This poor man cried; Adonai heard
and saved him from all his troubles.
8 (7) The angel of Adonai, who encamps
around those who fear him, delivers them.
9 (8) Taste, and see that Adonai is good.
How blessed are those who take refuge in him!
10 (9) Fear Adonai, you holy ones of his,
for those who fear him lack nothing.22 (21) Evil will kill the wicked,
and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
23 (22) But Adonai redeems his servants;
no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.(Complete Jewish Bible)
---
Luther wrote that the Psalter is the "book of all saints". Whoever we are and wherever we find ourselves in life, we find faith-filled words in the Psalms that fit us like a comforting blanket. We join in the same struggles, the same hopes, the same fears, joys and songs of praise as the saints before us and those with us.
In all our struggles about being worthy, all our questions about the status quo, all the times we find disconnect between the scriptures and our faith, actions and the world around us, we turn to seek the Lord. On this day of Reformation, we repent from our own ways and delight ourselves again in God's goodness. Taste and see! Exalt God's name together! None of those who take refuge in God will be condemned! May this Psalm sing in your heart today.
This poor soul cries, and God, you hear. In change, in confusion and in re-formation, give me all I need to keep trusting you. Amen.
Amanda Kempthorne, '09
Pastor,Lord of Life Lutheran Church,North Pole, Alaska
Psalm 34:
1 I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad.
3 O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Look to him, and be radiant; so your faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord, and was saved from every trouble.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.
8 O taste and see that the Lord is good; happy are those who take refuge in him.
9 O fear the Lord, you his holy ones, for those who fear him have no want.
10 The young lions suffer want and hunger, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing...
22 The Lord redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.
(New Revised Standard Version)
--- 

The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
Telephone: (651)641-3456-
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment