Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The United Methodist Church Prays of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 25 October 2017 "Run My Course With Even Joy"

The United Methodist Church Prays of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Wednesday, 25 October 2017 "Run My Course With Even Joy"
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2017
A Word from John Wesley

Q. Is love the fulfilling of this law?
A. Unquestionably it is. The whole law under which we now are is fulfilled by love (Romans 13:8, 10). Faith working or animated by love is all that God now requires of humans. He has substituted (not sincerity, but) love, in the room of angelic perfection. (John Wesley, The Character of a Methodist, ¶25.)
A Hymn from Charles Wesley

1. Forth in thy name, O Lord, I go,
My daily labour to pursue,
Thee, only thee, resolved to know
In all I think, or speak, or do.
2. The task thy wisdom has assigned
O let me cheerfully fulfill,
In all my works thy presence find,
And prove thy acceptable will.
3. Thee may I set at my right hand
Whose eyes my inmost substance see,
And labour on at thy command,
And offer all my works to thee.
4. Give me to bear thy easy yoke,
And every moment watch and pray,
And still to things eternal look,
And hasten to thy glorious day.
5. For thee delightfully employ
Whate’er thy bounteous grace hath given,
And run my course with even joy,
And closely walk with thee to heaven. (Collection-1781, #315: 1-5)
Questions for Reflection:

1. In John Wesley’s description of the character of a Methodist he says clearly that “love is the fulfilling of this law.” Why is this important to John Wesley? Is it important to you?
2. What is the meaning of Charles Wesley’s hymn for us today?
3. This hymn implies that it is possible “to run my course with even joy,/And closely walk with thee [God] to heaven.” Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Prayer: You know each of us by name, O God, and in your sight we have found favor, yet our minds cannot comprehend the vision of your glory or the vastness of your love. Grant that as we glimpse your greatness, reflected in your many gifts, we may always return to you the praise that is yours alone. We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
The Wesley excerpts are from A Disciple’s Journal—2017: A Guide for Daily Prayer, Bible Reading, and Discipleship, by Steven W. Manskar. Copyright © 2017 Discipleship Resources, Nashville, Tennessee. All rights reserved. Used by permission. The prayer is reprinted with permission from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright © 2002, Consultation on Common Texts.
Copyright © 2017 The Upper Room, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
The Upper Room Strategic Initiatives
PO Box 340007


Nashville, Tennessee 37203, United States

-------

No comments:

Post a Comment