Saturday, December 30, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotion of The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, 30 December 2017 - "In the Bleak Midwinter," ELW 294

The God Pause Daily Devotion of The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Saturday, 30 December 2017 - "In the Bleak Midwinter," ELW 294
1. In the bleak midwinter,
frosty wind made moan,
earth stood hard as iron,
water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow,
snow on snow,
in the bleak midwinter,
long ago.
2. Heaven cannot hold him,
nor earth sustain;
heav'n and earth shall flee away
when he comes to reign;
in the bleak midwinter
a stable place sufficed
the Lord God almighty,
Jesus Christ.
3. What can I give him,
poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb;
if I were a wise man
I would do my part;
yet what I can give him--
give my heart.
---
The melody of this hymn is frequently somber, not jovial as other Christmas hymns. However, the tune and the words are well matched. They offer the listener or singer a reminder that this world without God, without Jesus, without Christmas, would be hard, bleak and long. We truly need this reminder, just as we truly need the joy of the life, hope and faith that come to us at Christmas. In the third verse we join in the question, "What can I give him, poor as I am?" A good question for reflection, because, indeed, what can we possibly give to God who has created everything for us? Of course, if you were a shepherd, you could give him everything that you hold in value--a lamb. Yet, what God is truly seeking from all of us is our very hearts. 
Lord God, there are times we do not understand what is happening in our world . However, your word of peace, love and joy shines through the darkness. Help us to find our happiness and fulfillment in you; for without you and your blessings we would be nothing. Lord, we continue to sing of your praises now and always! Amen.
Nathan Strong, '11
Pastor, Grace Lutheran Church, Carrollton, Texas
---
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108 United States
---

No comments:

Post a Comment