Sunday, December 31, 2017

The God Pause Daily Devotion of The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Monday, 1 January 2018 - Genesis 1:1-5a

The God Pause Daily Devotion of The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Monday, 1 January 2018 - Genesis 1:1-5a
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was unformed and void, darkness was on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God hovered over the surface of the water. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. So there was evening, and there was morning, one day.(Complete Jewish Bible)
---
Every religion that I'm aware of has a creation story. That story reflects a common human need-- the need to know who I am, where I fit in the world and why. Genesis and the whole arc of scripture tells me that I am, because God created me.  My purpose goes all the way back to the beginning when God declared that I am to be a steward, or trustee, of what God has made. I am an heir of the promise to Abraham. God has blessed me with God's loving presence and called me to be a blessing to others and to God's world.
God calls everything that God makes and does as "good." Because of Jesus' cross and resurrection, we trust that ultimately we'll see that too. My baptism is God's visible promise that God not only made me, but that God also lovingly claims me. Our son, Sean, once wrote a song whose title could be our mission statement: "You come from the music; let the music come from you." 
God, You never leave us, even in the midst of the chaos we create. You inspire us by the light of your measureless love to be loving. Help us to know and trust that life is good because You give it; the world is good because You made it; that we live and move and have our being surrounded by you every moment of our lives. Amen.
J. David Whelan, '95
Pastor of Visitation and Care, Central Lutheran Church, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth,
2 the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.
3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
4 And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
5a God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night... (The Revised Standard Version)
---
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108 United States
---

No comments:

Post a Comment