Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Saturday, 30 December 2017 "The Focal Point" by Ana Lilliam Sánchez Fernández (Dominican Republic) - Philippians 1:20-22

The Upper Room Daily Devotional from The United Methodist Church of Nashville, Tennessee, United States for Saturday, 30 December 2017 "The Focal Point" by Ana Lilliam Sánchez Fernández (Dominican Republic) - Philippians 1:20-22
DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR SATURDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2017 
The message of the cross is foolishness to those 
who are perishing, but to us who are 
being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV))
I have always enjoyed drawing. During one of my classes on caricature drawing, my professor said: “Before drawing the outline of the person, place a cross on the face. This will mark the focal point to guide the artistic direction of your work as you draw the person’s features and expression.”
As I reflected on the professor’s comment, I was reminded of my own humanity. On many occasions my life has been off balance because I did not keep Christ’s cross as the focal point in my life. The cross gives meaning and direction to my existence. Christ’s sacrifice on the cross proves God’s abundant love for humankind, a love that will continue to be the focal point that guides and centers our lives.
TODAY'S PRAYER:
Thank you, God, for Christ’s sacrifice on the cross that offers the gift of salvation. Amen.
* * *
TODAY'S READING: Philippians 1:20-22 
Philippians 1:20 It all accords with my earnest expectation and hope that I will have nothing to be ashamed of; but rather, now, as always, the Messiah will be honored by my body, whether it is alive or dead. 21 For to me, life is the Messiah, and death is gain. 22 But if by living on in the body I can do fruitful work, then I don’t know which to choose.
---
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
How will I make Christ’s love the focal point of my life?
PRAYER FOCUS:
Artists
---
The Upper Room®
Copyright © The Upper Room 2017, All rights reserved.
Header Photo Credit: "Harvested Land," Beth Shumate. August 15, 2014. (link)
---

No comments:

Post a Comment