Thursday, May 18, 2017

The God Pause for Friday, 19 May 2017 - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States -  John 14:15-21



The God Pause for Friday, 19 May 2017 - The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States - 
John 14:15-21
John 14:
15 “If you love me, you will keep my commands; 16 and I will ask the Father, and he will give you another comforting Counselor like me, the Spirit of Truth, to be with you forever. 17 The world cannot receive him, because it neither sees nor knows him. You know him, because he is staying with you and will be united with you. 18 I will not leave you orphans — I am coming to you. 19 In just a little while, the world will no longer see me; but you will see me. Because I live, you too will live. 20 When that day comes, you will know that I am united with my Father, and you with me, and I with you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me, and the one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.” [Complete Jewish Bible]
-------
The gospel reading for this week speaks not only of loving but also of living ("because I live, you also will live" [v. 19]), and specifically living in each other: "On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you" (v. 20), and "You know him, because he abides with you" (v. 17). Abiding is a strong theme throughout the Gospel of John. Jesus' staying and remaining with his followers was clearly an important point for John's community. One way we can allow Jesus to abide in us--to feel him in us and us in him--is to proclaim his good news boldly to our neighbors. This is also another way we can love Jesus and keep his commandments. Even when we feel alone or think our voice is not commanding enough on its own, we can know that we have not been "orphaned," that "Jesus is coming to us" (v. 18).
Abiding God, help us to feel you in us through the gracious presence of your son Jesus Christ, our advocate. Help us to live into our proclamation knowing that you live in it, too, animating it with your love and truth. In Jesus' living name. Amen.
Sam Bardwell, '15
Actor, Minneapolis, Minn.
John 14:
15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever.
17 This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.
18 "I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you.
19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live.
20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.
21 They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them."
[New Revised Standard Version]
-------
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55108, United States
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment