Monday, May 22, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotions in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "No Regrets" for Tuesday, 23 May 2017 - Read Philippians 3:7-16

The Upper Room Daily Devotions in Nashville, Tennessee, United States "No Regrets" for Tuesday, 23 May 2017 - Read Philippians 3:7-16

Philippians 3:7 But the things that used to be advantages for me, I have, because of the Messiah, come to consider a disadvantage. 8 Not only that, but I consider everything a disadvantage in comparison with the supreme value of knowing the Messiah Yeshua as my Lord. It was because of him that I gave up everything and regard it all as garbage, in order to gain the Messiah 9 and be found in union with him, not having any righteousness of my own based on legalism, but having that righteousness which comes through the Messiah’s faithfulness, the righteousness from God based on trust. 10 Yes, I gave it all up in order to know him, that is, to know the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings as I am being conformed to his death, 11 so that somehow I might arrive at being resurrected from the dead. 12 It is not that I have already obtained it or already reached the goal — no, I keep pursuing it in the hope of taking hold of that for which the Messiah Yeshua took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I, for my part, do not think of myself as having yet gotten hold of it; but one thing I do: forgetting what is behind me and straining forward toward what lies ahead, 14 I keep pursuing the goal in order to win the prize offered by God’s upward calling in the Messiah Yeshua. 15 Therefore, as many of us as are mature, let us keep paying attention to this; and if you are differently minded about anything, God will also reveal this to you. 16 Only let our conduct fit the level we have already reached.
-------
Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.[Ecclesiastes 7:10 (NIV)]While doing some spring cleaning, I came across a dust-covered bag. I expected it to be filled with useless old papers. Instead I was surprised to find old letters, cards, and photographs from around the time of my high school graduation.
Life has not always been kind to me, yet in many ways God has blessed me. Still, as I looked at these mementos from when my life was full of promise and potential, I felt a pang of regret for what I perceived as a life of failure and mediocrity. I yearned for that earlier time when things seemed simpler and safer. If only I could change the poor decisions I have made, I thought, I might be able to reverse their bitter effects.
In truth, life was not easier then. Through these hard years I have matured, and God has taught me wisdom, building me into a person of faith. From our new birth of salvation, we journey onward toward our heavenly home. The goal doesn’t lie behind us; there is no benefit in going back. Our life in Christ may be many things, but it will never be a life of regret.
The Author: Jeff Riley (Oklahoma, USA)
Thought for the Day:
My future in Christ outshines the regrets of my past.
Prayer: Wise and loving God, thank you for freeing us from the past. Lead us on toward your purpose for our lives. Amen.
Prayer focus:
Students graduating from High School
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment